Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x152

Stamford - New 75' RMA for Engine #6

21 posts in this topic

A quick preview of Stamford Fire Rescue's new HME 75' rear mount for Engine #6. The rig is in the process of being striped/lettered and equipped at Twin Lights in Milford (CT). This unit was a demonstrator that was recently purchased from HME.

The current Engine 6, a 2005 HME Rescue Engine, is scheduled to be reassigned to Engine #4 and Engine 4's 2003 HME Engine will go into the reserve pool. I will try and post additional pictures as I get them.

Engine 6 responds from Fire Headquarters along with Engine 1, Tower 1, and the Shift Commander.

New%20E6%20Resize_1.jpg

is that a Q siren on a Stamford rig? or am I seeing things??

Edited by sr71

is that a Q siren on a Stamford rig? or am I seeing things??

Well, keep in mind that this was a demo rig... But you're right, Stamford's HME's don't usually have a Q. Currently SFRD has 3 Sutphens in their fleet, and they each have a Q... (Tower 1, Truck 3 and Truck 4). Also Engine 12 and Rescue 2 (Mack) have a Q and Rescue 1 has an EQ2B.

Edited by 242steve

Cause of the ladder on it Shouldnt that be a ladder instead of an Engine ?

When I came on in 1985 both E-4 (Shippan) and E-5 (Woodside), single company houses at the time, had 50' Squirts on them. They were great for water tower operations but were greatly limited for rescue and roof / window access. The new E-6, a true quint, will be a great addition to our fleet. The IC will be able to utilize the company for both engine and/or truck operations.

There are many departments that utilize quints as engine companies. Look at St. Louis as most of their engine companies utilize quints with 75' aerials. They use the first arriving as the engine, second arriving as a truck, and so on.

Stay Safe,

SFRD49

I saw some footage on St Louis, they also use the quints/squirts in an interesting way. They use it for dumpster fires, just extend it out over the fire and let loose! Wonder if Stamford will use it in this way as well.

thats pretty cool how they have their engine double as a ladder

I like the idea alot. It gives the IC good flexibility in decisioin making. Since E6 is kind of an "extra" engine or a "Squad", it makes sense to have it be a quint. I also find it nice that SFRD has 4 year old spares. Our spares in Norwalk are real "beaters", old refurbed macks. Engine 1 is about to go into spare status as new engine 1 has arrived.

When I came on in 1985 both E-4 (Shippan) and E-5 (Woodside), single company houses at the time, had 50' Squirts on them. They were great for water tower operations but were greatly limited for rescue and roof / window access. The new E-6, a true quint, will be a great addition to our fleet. The IC will be able to utilize the company for both engine and/or truck operations.

There are many departments that utilize quints as engine companies. Look at St. Louis as most of their engine companies utilize quints with 75' aerials. They use the first arriving as the engine, second arriving as a truck, and so on.

Stay Safe,

SFRD49

Thats cool

To any of the SFRD guys, or anyone in the know for that matter, what is the plan for the new E-6. I know the former unit was a standard engine apparatus and I can see from the spyshots that this rig is basically a quint. Do they plan on running 2 ladder companies out of HQ, or is it heading up town.?

To any of the SFRD guys, or anyone in the know for that matter, what is the plan for the new E-6. I know the former unit was a standard engine apparatus and I can see from the spyshots that this rig is basically a quint. Do they plan on running 2 ladder companies out of HQ, or is it heading up town.?

The intended use as for now and this too can change with our administartion is the "quint E6" will replace the current E6 to run as E6 out of HQ and the current E6 will replace the oldest and first HME Engine 4 and engine 4 will go into reserve status.

But do to the current wave of change in Stamford and the situation in the combination department areas of Stamford stand by for the city to change it's mind and plans again

I like the idea alot. It gives the IC good flexibility in decisioin making. Since E6 is kind of an "extra" engine or a "Squad", it makes sense to have it be a quint. I also find it nice that SFRD has 4 year old spares. Our spares in Norwalk are real "beaters", old refurbed macks. Engine 1 is about to go into spare status as new engine 1 has arrived.

I agree the idea of a quint for versatility in a response district that ranges from city blocks to rural backcountry areas. In Greenwich we are looking at building a new career Staion 9 and have heard talks of possibly deploying a 75 ft Quint at the station to help with the ISO rating. But that is just talk, nothing official. All plans are still on the drawing board, though the land has already been purchased. Likewise in Greenwich we are much like Stamford and constantly roll rigs over after about 5 years or less. Unlike some other depts where some rigs can live for 30 years and only have 4000 miles on them our rigs rack up mileage quickly. It is not uncommon for us to get mileages of upwards of 80,000 before they are retired. And even then they are sent down to backup status.

HME makes a nice looking quint we demo'd one. Very nice unit even with the tandem they turn well. Was that pic taken at twin-lights?

I photographed Engine 6 today. Special thanks to all those involved. The complete set of photos will be posted on http://www.emtbravo.com later this weekend, here's a teaser.

post-11-1197059597.jpg

How big is the tank on it (water capacity)? Any draw backs as far as operating pumps and ladder together? Does it have a rear discharge and if so does that hamper access to the ladder?

Check out the photos:

http://www.emtbravophotos.com/NewDeliverie...amfordE607.html

Has a 600 gallon water tank and 30 gallon foam tank. Only plumbing on the rear is a LDH intake for the ladder pipe, if needed.

Nice looking truck/engine. Why is it called E-6? I always had a problem with these types of rigs. Whats the job of E-6 when its first due at a call/fire? is it doing truck work or is it doing engine work. I think they are good for small departments and ones that don't have a lot of money. In away you are getting two rigs in one.

Apparentlly, the aerial is a "hydraulic ground ladder"

We have 2 quints and frequently serve as an engine more than a ladder, and yes your staffing is low 6 between 2 houses, but we have strong mutual aid agreements and good POC responce from home, but by no means we have no money problems what so ever, and we a steady increase in calls we are looking into adding 3 more additional people on duty, on a side note we handle all our own EMS at an ALS level.