Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Annual Volunteer FD Training

4 posts in this topic

I am asking everyone for some information.

I am trying to nail down all of the required training that us, volunteer firefighters, must complete annually. So far, my Google searches and OSHA site research hasn't been as helpful as I was hoping.

I am under the impression that we have to at least complete eight hours of OSHA (1910.156) training annually in the following subjects.

- General Hazard Recognition

- Station Safety

- Response Safety

- Scene Safety

- PPE

- SCBA

- Tool & Equipment Safety

- New Developments

During the course of the year we have many classroom and hands-on training nights/days where we cover these subjects. But what else am I missing? I have looked at all the "Association" websites for answers but I have found nothing. I am trying to ensure that all of our personnel are compliant and well-trained beyond the old "Got Essentials once, good for life" mentality seen so often. We have held classroom sessions on CPR, BBP, SCBA review, Winter Ops, NIMS, Decon, Radiological emergencies, etc. and we drill on Engine, Truck and Rescue ops frequently.

Thanks for any input - I'm sure this topic will probably benefit not only me but anyone else that reads it.

Edited by Remember585

All firefighters - career and volunteer should be familiar with self-rescuea and survival techniques. They should also be aware of the needs of the FAST team if you are not providing one yourselves.

When I used to conduct the training in my department I obtained a copy of the NYS minimum standards sectiion 426 which is requirements for career firefighters in NY and used it as a guideline. I also refered to NFPA 1001 as well. Firehouse Magazine has downloadable drills which has been very helpful. You seem to have the bases covered. The 8 hour OSHA is merely safety training and should not be the only training conducted.

I also agree 100% with Gepetto...training in self rescue is definitely a must and it should be on going. Hopefully you may never need it but just that one time...

We all also have to go thru blood borne pathogens training in osha now