Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

MPAA Investigators: Anybody dealt with them?

5 posts in this topic

Anybody from local law enforcement every dealt with the investigators from the Motion Picture Association of America? They are called in to assist on counterfeit DVD arrests and investigations and work out of Executive Blvd, Yonkers. Are their DVD sniffing dogs working up here yet?

Asking as a big film buff.

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

They might be working with the 'Comercial Police" being discussed in another thread :lol:

I have worked with them over the phone. Mostly used to verify that the DVDs/CDs are in fact counterfeit. They ask what the person was selling(titles still in theaters) what the cases looked like, i.e obvious photo copy, color of the DVD/CD. They will sign and fax a depostion to you to give the DA's office. Very proffesional, and easy to work with. They have an 800 phone number you call. During nights and weekends you call the number and leave a message with a call back number. Last time I did that an investigator callled me back within 30 minutes.

Edited by grumpyff

They do a lot of joint operations with one of the units where I work... seem like nice guys. I can remember when I was new they came in with a ton of literature on counterfeit DVD's and CD's... a lof of their investigators are retired police officers...

When I worked out of a precinct we were made to go with them when they raided the local bodegas for fraudulent films. Most of the guys I dealt with were FBI alumni. A different breed compared to your average street cop. Not in a negative way.....just different. And you had to act accordingly.