Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Greenwich, Ct, PD: Elimination of crossing guard duty?

4 posts in this topic

Saw three Greenwich cops performing crossing guard duty on Greenwich Avenue the other day and thought months back this function was to be civilianized.... So what happened?

Since the America's best professional burglars ( like the one caught in Belgium recently and featured several times on America's Most Wanted) actively work in Greenwich, why continue to waster precious police resources on cross guard duty? It can be effectively civilianized as done in NYC and many other communities.

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

Saw three Greenwich cops performing crossing guard duty on Greenwich Avenue the other day and thought months back this function was to be civilianized.... So what happened?

Since the America's best professional burglars ( like the one caught in Belgium recently and featured several times on America's Most Wanted) actively work in Greenwich, why continue to waster precious police resources on cross guard duty? It can be effectively civilianized as done in NYC and many other communities.

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

I know that the powers that be have talked about this and installing traffic lights numerous times. I believe the thinking of keeping the officers was an asthetic one, as well as a human one. Traffic, both vehicle and pedestrian, isn't regular. meaning some times the pedestrian traffic is really heavy, some times it is light. Same thing goes for the vehicle traffic. The officers were able to keep traffic flowing better than a timed or automated light system would. They could, of course be replaced by civilians as you said. Keep in mind that there are stop signs at every intersection, and after hours it is up to people's common sense to keep traffic flowing. My experience is that common sense isnt so common, and pedestrians will walk out in front of moving cars. But this leads to the other benefit of having officers on Greenwich Ave. It is basically, the business district of greenwich. Seeing the officers makes people feel safe. Having worked on the avenue for a number of eyars, i saw, on more than one occasion, the officer directing traffic leave his post to address some problem or another at one of the stores. In fact, I believe that it was the officeer at the Lewis st intersection that caused a recent robber of a jewelry store to drop his bag of "loot". I guess they could have foot patrols on greenwich ave, but that still keeps a certain number of officers on greenwich ave.

Having police directing traffic in such a high trafic area also benefits the department by having them in the public eyes. The officers are routinely approached by the public asking directions or other questions, and is a tremendous public service.

But during their public relations stints on Greenwich Avenue, professional burglars are having a field day in other parts of town and don't think they they are unaware of police resources during any given shift, including three cops assigned to crossing duty. NYC and others are successfully civilianized crossing guard duty. Not doing so is a silly waste of police resources needed elsewhere.

Remember when I worked in Stamford during the 1980's there was a newspaper piece about a burglary team that used small boats ( not kidding) to commit Greenwich burglaries of homes with docks on the Long Island Sound. One guy was from southwest Yonkers. The professional NYC shoplifting teams have probably made their rounds here too.

No disrespect is intended to both the Greenwich PD and local government. Just offering this as a constructive comment.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

But during their public relations stints on Greenwich Avenue, professional burglars are having a field day in other parts of town and don't think they they are unaware of police resources during any given shift, including three cops assigned to crossing duty. NYC and others are successfully civilianized crossing guard duty. Not doing so is a silly waste of police resources needed elsewhere.

Remember when I worked in Stamford during the 1980's there was a newspaper piece about a burglary team that used small boats ( not kidding) to commit Greenwich burglaries of homes with docks on the Long Island Sound. One guy was from southwest Yonkers. The professional NYC shoplifting teams have probably made their rounds here too.

No disrespect is intended to both the Greenwich PD and local government. Just offering this as a constructive comment.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. My take on this is you can have police officers directing traffic on Greenwich Ave, or you can have them patrol greenwich ave. Either way you are still utilizing officers on Greenwich Ave. Keep in mind that there is alot of money on that street, between the banks, jewelry stores, and customers. This is a high value area. What you are proposing is moving resources from one high value area to another. Essentially robbing peter to pay paul.