Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fireman488

6th Annual Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Run

3 posts in this topic

On Sunday, September 30th, 12 members of the Elmsford Fire Department, along with family members and friends, participated in the 6th Annual Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Run.

Stephen Siller Run

The 5K run/walk retraces the steps that Firefighter Siller, FDNY Squad Co. 1, took on 9/11/01, when he ran through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the World Trade Center Towers, and was subsequently killed in the line of duty.

More than 22,000 runners and walkers to took to the streets on a beautiful and inspirational day, first going through the tunnel, which was lined with uniformed FDNY firefighters holding 343 American flags and 343 photo banners of all the 9/11 deceased firefighters.

Exiting the tunnel, participants were greeted by tunes from the FDNY Emerald Society Pipe Band.

Traveling along the Hudson River, they were saluted by streams from FDNY fireboat: Marine Co. 1.

Finally they crossed the finish line under a large American flag, which was hung between the aerial ladders of FDNY Ladder Co. 10 and the Roselle, NJ, Ladder Company.

A large street fair followed, with lots of great food, beverage and friendship, during which they were addressed by members of the Siller family, former Mayor Rudy Guiliani, the FDNY Commissioner and the FDNY Chief of Department.

A was truly a great day!!!

Edited by DOC22
Made link hot

I was there as well, this was my second year running, and my second year having an amazing time. I encourage everyone to go next year and support Steven Siller and his family.

Also note the following departments (and I'm sorry if the numbers are off or I forgot a job that had members run);

New Rochelle FD had 15 or so members run, one in complete turn-out gear (you try running three miles in complete gear) while another member ran alongside carrying an American flag-

Scarsdale FD had 11 members run (25% of their entire job)-

Mt. Vernon had at least 10 members running-

and Yonkers FD had several members and most of their current probie class of 30+ running.

It is also impressive to see over 150 London firefighters make the trek and see several of them run in complete gear carrying the Union Jack.

The run usually takes place on a late Sunday in September and is growing each year. FF's from across the U.S. show up in large numbers and it is indeed a very inspiring day. And just as you're getting winded, the FF's holding the flags and banners of the lost members help push you a little faster up the hill

www.tunneltotowersrun.org