Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Putnam firefighter charged with stealing gas from his fire department

20 posts in this topic

Putnam firefighter charged with stealing gas from his fire department

By TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 4, 2007)

PHILIPSTOWN - A North Highlands volunteer firefighter has been charged with stealing from the department's gas pumps, police and fire officials said today.

William A. Kivel, 18, of Route 9, Philpstown, faces two misdemeanor counts of petty larceny for stealing gas from pumps at the firehouse on Fishkill Road on two occasions, according to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office. He took a total of about 14 gallons, police said.

Kivel, who is scheduled to appear Oct. 10 in Philipstown Court, has been suspended from the fire department pending an as-yet unscheduled administrative hearing in front of the Philipstown-North Highlands Board of Fire Commissioners, Chief Charles Nolen said in a statement issued today.

Nolen first noticed the missing gas and reported it to police.

Oh no's, 14 gallons of gas!

Must be a slow news day.

What's ironic is that I used to work for the Journal News and I saw employees and managers steal gas all the time from the company pumps. Why don't they write about that?

I guess he didn't see what happened to a Westchester FF who did that back in the late 90's! :P

SAD SAD SAD JUST KEEPING BRING HOME THE BLACK EYE TO THE FIRE SERVICE.

Oh no's, 14 gallons of gas!

Must be a slow news day.

What's ironic is that I used to work for the Journal News and I saw employees and managers steal gas all the time from the company pumps. Why don't they write about that?

Its not the amount of gas that was stolen or deciding whether it was a slow news day. The fact is he stole from his department. This is inexcusable. There is a trust you are granted when entering the fire service and that is to hold your self above reproach. Firefighter is a special title granted to those that have agreed to put others first not themselves. Stealing from within your department destoys the bond that makes the firehouse and firefighters so special.

Pretty disappointing. I am shocked the deparment has open access to there pumps to begin with. In our town, they just went to a magnetic Key system. It electronically records every unit, gallons used, and time stamps it. They also keep the pumps at the public works site so a personal vehicvle would be obvious. Are there still many departments with their pumps in house?.....I have only seen this practice in major cities.

"Nolen first noticed the missing gas and reported it to police."

im more interested in knowing how he noticed 14 gallons of missing fuel??

"Nolen first noticed the missing gas and reported it to police."

im more interested in knowing how he noticed 14 gallons of missing fuel??

You are more interested in knowing how they determined it was 14 gallons then the fact this clown stole from his own department. Maybe they were able to determine the amount so easily because they run a well organized outfit that is accountable to the department and the public they serve.

People should be questioning the actions of the one arrested and not the Chief who reported it or the news paper that reported on it.

Slow news day? You can only get the info off the police blotters or what others let be known.

I don't look at it as a black eye for the fire service either. This is a different circumstance being he was doing something idiotic while representing the fire department, he was doing something idiotic on his own and will give symptathy to the FD.

Let's see, maybe he had a keycode and coded in and then they reviewed the tapes (if they have video surveillance) to see what he was filling cause at 18, can he really be qualified already to operate all the apparatus? This is not the first time I have heard of this...the prior involved a member of a westchester dept fishing the credit card out of the apparatus and using it at local gas stations. This subject was removed both from the pressing department, as well as the covering ems agency he also belonged to. I understand another volunteer organization two towns away took him on as a member.

Its not the amount of gas that was stolen or deciding whether it was a slow news day. The fact is he stole from his department. This is inexcusable. There is a trust you are granted when entering the fire service and that is to hold your self above reproach. Firefighter is a special title granted to those that have agreed to put others first not themselves. Stealing from within your department destoys the bond that makes the firehouse and firefighters so special.

People should be questioning the actions of the one arrested and not the Chief who reported it or the news paper that reported on it.

First off, we can question whatever we want.

My point was that if this involved some shmuck at a Getty station (or the newspaper that was reporting it) it would never hit the papers. Petty theft usually doesn't hit the papers. Its just another example of the media harping on public safety individuals over incidents that would never make the paper if they involved anyone else.

First off, we can question whatever we want.

My point was that if this involved some shmuck at a Getty station (or the newspaper that was reporting it) it would never hit the papers. Petty theft usually doesn't hit the papers. Its just another example of the media harping on public safety individuals over incidents that would never make the paper if they involved anyone else.

Thats the point. Because public safety personnel are often held to a different strandard by the public and the press we involved in the emergency services need to be even more vigilant in our actions In our minds we place ourselves higher then the general public so why should we get upset when the general public or press goes along with our thinking and holds us to a different standard.

There is also the fact that we and the public want people who are above reproach representing the fire service. Every time we are called out we are permittted to enter into someones private world and space which is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly. The behavior of this clown diminshes the trust developed between the fire service and the public. This behavior hurts the fire service more then the punishment he will recieve.

Understood, but you're not going to find people (especially volunteers who are often held to less stringent standards) who are above reproach, so what's the point of making a big deal out of something rather stupid while indirectly dragging the fire service through the mud? Do you believe the media cares? If we were ALL thieving, drunken morons, they'd have plenty of fuel to sell papers.

The Journal News has one interest, to keep their newspaper on life support while printed media around the globe is dying off. They have a proven track record of pulling stunts to draw attention and abusing public safety in order to sell papers.

It is ashame that it was posted. Yes couldn't they have found something else to print. Its ashame they voted the kid (I am being very kind at this time) into the department in the 1st place. Every where he has been he has been a problem. I felt sorry for the punk & gave him a job & he stole from me. I could go on, but I will leave it at this "He is a lost sole & I think he will never learn" He has had so many chance & every where he has screwed up. Including presenting himself on this site as a EMT & Dispatcher for a local ambulance company. Oh yes when we saw his pic on this site another EMT found out where his other uniform shirt went. Okay enough!

Oh FYI I looked up the kids screen name on this site is DISPATCHER418. He had a pic wearing a EMT Uniform shirt.

Oh FYI I looked up the kids screen name on this site is xxxxxxx. He had a pic wearing a EMT Uniform shirt.

This isn't necessary. If you feel the need to report the kid, a PM to the admin with the screenname is all that is needed. If Seth feels he should bounce the kid, than he can.

How many times do we have to hit in the head to find out WE ARE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD we have the peoples trust in our hands. We are the good guys, kids look up to us , what ever we do, where ever we go, what ever we say , (sounds like a song) people are looking at us seeing what we are doing. When you are a firefighter you are in the limelight like it or not, and if you dont like it--- join the ELKS you never see them get written up in the papers. when was the last time you saw a headline ELK steals gas!!!!

Some of the people we take in are confused and perhaps lost soles - but how can we tell unless we get references, background checks and information from prior departments they may have been affiliated with. It's really a luck of the draw kind of thing with members - I estimate that every 6 members we get, usually 1 or 2 work out and are useful, the others fade off into the sunset.

The individual that oswego was talking about is a friend of mine and I will defend him anytime, anyplace. He is a big-hearted guy that has been an amazing asset to our Department. He made a dumb mistake, but he took the fall and he has had to deal with that since. So many people stepped up and spoke on his behalf, that is why we took him in.

Taking in members has to be more then filling out a form - get out there and ask around before you get your a** burned!

Edited by Remember585

oh no the 14 gallons, he probably used more then 14 gallons of gas going to and from the firehouse