Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ldrco195

Coming to New York City

19 posts in this topic

Hello All -

My Wife, Children & I are looking to come to New York this Christmas season for a weekend. (Yes We are Absulotely N.V.T.S... NUTS)

We are looking for some advice.

We are driving in and we have an idea of staying in lower Manhattan area. We have NO intention of driving our car in the city when there.

First question - Do the taxi services carry car seats with them for such occasions?

We do have most of our plans set in order and to what and where to go.. with that said.

If we wanted to go to Boston from NYC. What is the train service & website if exisits that would get us there?

Thanks for the help.

More questions and such may follow.

Stay Safe !

Chris

www.mvfd5.com

I don't think NYC Taxi's carry car seats with them, but I'm sure drivers won't have a problem if you bring your own...though they'll probably run the meter while you buckle it in. Check the NYC Taxi commission website to see if they have any information http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml

For trains, check the amtrak website

Take the subway, are you gonna lug around a car seat all day while not in the cab? The subways aren't that hard to figure out. Look at a map online and most of the tourist type places will tell you how to get there via subway. Also since your in NYC don't eat at some lame restaurant, try something ethnic, there are thousands of foreign foods to try, and I don't mean Chinese take out. I would suggest hitting up some restaurants in the village, not some chain in Times Square.

any time you're looking for something to eat get a feew blocks of the main drag or away from the attraction. Prices vary from block to block and some of the best restaurant finds are off the beaten path. For $20 you can pick up the zagat guide to NYC dining. It has almost every bar and restaurant covered. Cabs won't have seats but they all have the proper pounts for a car seat. Mass transit can seem over whelming and confusing in the city, but if you get confused just ask. There are people stationed everywhere to help and most NYer's will help if you have a quick question for them. Boston to NYC, check Jet Blue. Including the trip from the airport to the city its usually close in price to the train and it'll save you some time. Enjoy the city.

If you wanna save some cash, and are looking for a real adventure, try the Fung Wah bus to Boston.

Whenever I take I-95 to school, those Fung Wah buses are always flying by me.

Whenever I take I-95 to school, those Fung Wah buses are always flying by me.

Yah and when they reach CT they either crash or catch fire.

ldrco195,

There area a million things to do in NYC, never a dull moment for the family. Definitely look on line for some good restaurants so that the whole family can enjoy. Also to Radio City Music Hall also runs the Christmas Spectacular every yeas and is a good thing to see with the family.

Yah and when they reach CT they either crash or catch fire.

I had one roll in my neck of the woods last year getting off the Pike. :blink:NOT exactly the SAFEest bus company

Mike

You should pay a visit to Flushing, Queens and see Shea stadium... Site of the biggest collaspe in major league history. :lol:

No car seats, a stroller and walk, everything is pretty close that you will want to see..Otherwise use the subway, cheaper, faster, more efficient!

Their is a Days Inn near Times Square and I heard they are reasonably priced and it is located in a convenient location.

You should just Amtrak-it from PA to NYC...it will cost a lot to park your auto, an expense that you may not be ready to pay, upwards of $100 a day in a garage or lot!

Street parking is not always avail, and parking tickets tend to pile up!

If you submit an idea of where and what you want to see, I may be able to help you, I am a city buff...and have to show my relatives from around the County and the World around when they visit.

To Boston, Amtrak Accela Express, 2 hour ride I believe, but Boston should be a whole separate trip! Or you should not go there at all!!!!! (I am a Yankee fan)

Food, you will have your pick of the litter, literally! There are more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the World. If you are looking for one for the wife and you (if you have a place to dump the youths--without drugging them) La Lanterna, located on MacDougal Street inear Columbia University, between E 3rd and E 4th St. Is a basement restaurant, candle lit, great wines, great foods, Thursday's have live Jazz!!!!! Unbelievable place! Order the peasant pizza with Salmon, capers, and onions, and for a good wine (Pinot), order a bottle of the Gavi Principessa!!!! Don't tell em I sent you...I just eat there once a year and they don't know me!

Otherwise, just chill out and walk around! Times Square needs to be seen in the Daylight and in the Nightlight! Very important not to just see it once! Empire State bldg is awesome for the view, but will cost you a few bucks...Research the costs now, so you are prepared...NYC ain't cheap!

Food, you will have your pick of the litter, literally! There are more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the World. If you are looking for one for the wife and you (if you have a place to dump the youths--without drugging them) La Lanterna, located on MacDougal Street inear Columbia University, between E 3rd and E 4th St. Is a basement restaurant, candle lit, great wines, great foods, Thursday's have live Jazz!!!!! Unbelievable place! Order the peasant pizza with Salmon, capers, and onions, and for a good wine (Pinot), order a bottle of the Gavi Principessa!!!! Don't tell em I sent you...I just eat there once a year and they don't know me!

MacDougal Street is near NYU, not Columbia.

SUGGESTION:

If you wanna have Dinner, Comedy Club, and see a Movie in NYC

all within ONE BLOCK try this.

Dinner:

ANGELS (Italian)

1135 First Avenue

New York, NY

http://www.angelsnyc.com/

Comedy Club:

DANGERFIELD'S

1118 First Avenue

New York, NY

http://www.dangerfields.com/

Movie:

CLEARVIEW CINEMAS

400 East 62nd Street (At 1st Avenue)

New York, NY

http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.a...mp;house_id=111

:D

Thanks to all for the ideas...

angels & rodney place - that is a great idea thanks -

we will be doing that.

ok.. now the most important thing in NYC -

Where is that world famous oldest pizza shop in NYC that makes coal fired pzza?

Edited by ldrco195

i thinks its called lombardi's ?

John's Pizza

Reasonable prices, good pizza, interesting architecture (it used to be a church).

Can anyone suggest a great local place for breakfast in the port chester area.

Thank You

Can anyone suggest a great local place for breakfast in the port chester area.

Thank You

DINNER ON THE POST ROAD OR HUBBA HUBBA IF YOUR DRUNK!