Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Engineering Magazine

4 posts in this topic

So today in the mail I got the fire engineering magazine sign-up form. While I have subscribed for years to firehouse mag (and as a recent post has brought out) firehouse seems to have too much advertising.

The offer is $21.00 for a 12 month subscription. I am thinking of doing it, but I just do not want to have another firehouse magazine on my hands. So what do others think of fire engineering magazine?

Until this last year, I was 100% sold Fire Engineering was the best magazine. Lately though they've had far fewer firefighting articles. Generally the contributing authors were pretty decent and there was a lot of good "how to" content. Lately though Firehouse has improved their content. maybe the guys writing the back pages are having some sort of affect on their respective magazines?

Edited by antiquefirelt

At first I had subscribed to both publications, but I found that Firehouse is more geared toward buff stuff, like incident descriptions and stuff. Not too many firefighting informational articles. Fire Engineering has more of that, more articles pertaining to practicing and modifying old techniques as well as teaching new ones.

I have been a Fire Engineering subscriber for going on 15 years now and think it is a decent publication full of knowledge from experienced members of the service from all over the world. It may not be the best magazine out there but it delivers a lot of information. They have lost some of its content but I think every magazine goes through ups and downs as it loses and gains contributing writers.

Hope this helps your decision!! ;)

Moose

I subscribed to both and for a little while, both magazines seemed to lacked a lot. I think it mainly has to do with both mag's publishers. A lot of advertising and less tech stuff. They both seem to be getting better but to me they still have a long way to get back to what they were a few years ago.

Fire ENgineering has always been the techie / instructional trade magazine while Firehouse has become a more informal view point and discussion mag, also buffy as well. Both have been very good in the past and I hope they return to thier tradition content.