Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Posting Of Online Games On This Forum

23 posts in this topic

Members-

Recently, it seems more and more links to online games are being posted by our members, overshadowing other topics at times.

I ask that you refrain from posting online games to ones that are emergency services related, and only in "The Lounge" forum.

There are a million different online games out there, and I know a select few on this forum enjoy the games and sharing their scores, I don't want that to overtake this forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it harms anything. If that was the only thing being posted in these forums, it would be an issue, and yes, I know it is a fire/ems/pd/public works sector forum, but its all in good fun, doesn't hurt anything.

Just my 2 cents.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it harms anything. If that was the only thing being posted in these forums, it would be an issue, and yes, I know it is a fire/ems/pd/public works sector forum, but its all in good fun, doesn't hurt anything.

I understand that, but when I go through the list of topics for each day, and 5 or 6 of the active ones are games, and other topics are getting less attention, then there's an issue.

your right Seth, but if some members want to play games could there be a sub sector under media share or lounge for those members who enjoy them?

it just an idea to try to please everyone

Not for nothing, but this is a Fire/EMS/Police web site and lately its been everything else BUT related issues. Dont get me wrong, Im a gamer who loves to play games but there are other sites to promote games. If we keep making sub-categories there will be more non-fire/ems/police related ones. I come here to learn what I can. Just my 2-cents.

On a lighter note, anyone know of gaming web sites???

Thanks

Moose

I too think that at times there are alot of topics in the list of new topics that are more or less off topic. I personally enjoy the games but can see where it would be frustrating to find new posts about on topic matters.

I think sr71 has a great idea. Make a subforum for games, then have the most recent post list not pull from that subforum, if possible.

4 page threads on light packages and why FDNY doesn't run Q's and these games are suddenly an issue. Relax. When an interesting topic comes up people will talk about it. These other threads don't take away attention from more "important ones" they just give people a reason to come back until the good threads pop up.

4 page threads on light packages and why FDNY doesn't run Q's and these games are suddenly an issue. Relax. When an interesting topic comes up people will talk about it. These other threads don't take away attention from more "important ones" they just give people a reason to come back until the good threads pop up.

Very well said, couldn't agree more.

I don't even look at the games...just mark them as read and move on...doesn't even get my attention. So if they want to post em...I don't care.

Whatver threads you personally want to choose as important to you, that's your right. However, please don't mock others discussions because you don't find them personally important. The reason why FDNY doesn't have Q's is a legit topic for this board. As for the "4 page threads on light packages", I can't seem to find those.

When I review all the new topics created each day as part of my continuous review of forum operations and trends, to see six new topics created in ONE DAY about online games is a little ridiculous. Posting a game every now and then was fine, but it seems those kinds of topics are popping up more and more. The stats show these topics are often posted by those in a younger age range as well.

If people spent more time contributing constructive information, opinions, or knowledge in the many other threads on this forum, then this forum would be even more of an informative place. Using this forum as a place to learn about new online games and sharing your scores in a manner that overshadows other's topics is not the intent of The Lounge or of this forum.

This is a move to continue to keep this forum on track, not something to be percieved as a negative. This was an issue with the frequency of the threads being posted about games increasing, not about the occasional game thread.

Take it easy. I'm not trying to disparage you efforts here. My point is that things you find interesting others do not. In the same respect things you find wasteful others find interesting. While this is your site you have created it for a community. The community will eliminate the garbage threads. They will be ignored and fade into obscurity. You also want younger members, well this is apparently what they're interested in. If this keeps them coming then hopefully some of knowledge that more experienced members post will at the very least accidentally get read and absorbed. In my perfect site there would only be threads pertinent to police, fire, and ems operations but thats not enough to keep people coming.

So far I'm winning 3 to 1 with one post in favor of a sub category :D

could not agree more

Another one to say "agree." It's not taking away from any topics. And, topics don't stay on for any great length of time.

"Let, the games, begin." This whole site is becoming a little too stringent, in my opinion. I am an enthusiast and have little or no knowledge of many things spoken about on here. I enjoy hearing about this stuff.

OK, you can post games, but please do so in moderation. If there is an active game thread going on, wait to that one dies until starting a new one. And please keep all games posted somehwat mature and appropriate. Also, don't post if it's not a unique kind of game.

If we see members "spamming" this forum with game threads, that member will be PM'd. There are a million games on the internet, and they are easy to find, and no need to post every single one on here. I see that several members enjoy competing against each other, and I'll continue to listen to the membership's concerns.

I don't want people coming to this forum specifically to play games, nor that be the attraction to this forum. I want people to come here to learn, share, and grow.

While I know the main intent of this board is Emergency Services and Public works topics, I also tend to agree with partyrock. Another thing with games, some of which are pertty funny, is they can be a bit theraputic. More than once I would find myself in less than a good frame of mind, and find one of these games on here, they, at least for me have, at times been a good stress buster.

Thank you for coming to some sort of consensus Seth. It is rare I put in an opinion, and not something based on facts, and as you can see, those who ARE posting about the games, are in fact some of the more dedicated membership to this board. I would give some backing to your statement if it was only the "younger" members backing the game thing, but as I am sure you see, there is a broad spectrum who appreciate it, and felt a little TOO much moderator control.

-xfirefighter484x

I'll make another vote on that subforum. Also, Seth I'll take responsibility for my own actions, some games i posted were appropriate and some weren't (or what the content was), also, in my own stupidity i posted 5 games in 24 hours and 6 games in the past two months. Granted, I am young, but all I wanted was for people to have a way to relax from their stressful lives.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Hell I'm sorry I posted the Paper airplain game did not mean to start a war about on-line games.

OK, you can post games, but please do so in moderation. If there is an active game thread going on, wait to that one dies until starting a new one. And please keep all games posted somehwat mature and appropriate. Also, don't post if it's not a unique kind of game.

If we see members "spamming" this forum with game threads, that member will be PM'd. There are a million games on the internet, and they are easy to find, and no need to post every single one on here. I see that several members enjoy competing against each other, and I'll continue to listen to the membership's concerns.

I don't want people coming to this forum specifically to play games, nor that be the attraction to this forum. I want people to come here to learn, share, and grow.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :rolleyes:

Hell I'm sorry I posted the Paper airplain game did not mean to start a war about on-line games.

Don't be sorry, and no one started a "war" or was personally reponsible.

Games are fun, just not in mass.

Very well said, couldn't agree more.

BRAVO WELL SAID ITS JUST SOMETHING TO HELP PASS TIME SOME COUNTIES DONT UPDATE TOO OFTEN

Too many people take others' opinions as a way to start fights instead of what they realy are...their opinions. Relax.

What I was mentioning was to NOT have the sub-category started for games. We already have "The Lounge" and another topic called "Media Share", I believe either one is suitable to post games and talk about them. I play games all the time to relieve stress and get away from things every once in a while but I dont come to this site to look for them. I come here to listen to my respected brothers/sisters talk about current issues pertaining to fire/ems/police concerns. I would just hate to see it turn into a site that talks about everything BUT emergency services.

Long story short (I know, TOO LATE!) lets just keep it to the "Lounge" for now instead of starting another category, I believe the administrators have enough to deal with as it is. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Moose

If it's not a good practice to post links to games because they are not "emergency services related," then it logically follows that it's not a good practice to post links like the ones to the new Sky-Fox HD, or all those stupid train/bus/airplane topics and links that were on here several months back.

Personally, I think the games are a good way to relax during the day. Many of us on here have jobs out in the street, but some of us here have office jobs which can get boring at times. There's only a finite amount of times I can check my email without that getting boring, too, so more often than not, I end up playing some of the games that are posted here. What's the big deal, anyway?