Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Yonkers Sqaud 311

61 posts in this topic

Effective December 1st Engine 311 will no longer be ENGINE 311, It will be SQUAD 311.

The unit will function as an engine company unless directed otherwise by the Assistant Chief or Incident Commander. The unit can be used for additional manpower as needed by the A/C or I/C. The unit will be specialized in Building Collapse, Trench Collapse, High Angle Rescue, Haz Mat Operations and Confined Space Operations.

New Rescue pumper is on order and they will begin to respond similar to a FDNY Squad. The new squad will have more compartment space and more space for manpower as well.

Also the new Battalion 1 went into service this weekend, Looks HOT!

Weren't they already the house that was specialized in those things? Are they changing the 'official' title of the unit to make it more clear? In my opinion it is a smart move, it should create less confusion (if there really is any to begin with). Are they still going to respond as first responders to EMS calls in their first due district, or will their first due district be reassigned to other units? I know you said they will act as an engine company unless otherwise directed, but i just want to be clear if the name change is just cosmetic or if it is a real valid change for the company.

Wow, definetly some exciting news on the Yonkers front!

(But hopefully, we will next be hearing that YPD*ESU is getting a Mack MR ESU Truck!!!)

I wonder if the are going to be making any modifications to the current rig, such as relettering or adding some makeshift compartments????

Can't wait to the new (ALF?) Rescue Pumper!!!

Until Dec. 1 they will be using the Mack. They put in a bid for a new apparatus, expected to be rewarded by the end of this year, unknown which kind at this time. They will still serve as the first responder in there area, and from what i'm told Rescue 1 will still respond to the East side? I was told that it will but, that was a while ago, maybe R1SmokeEater can fill us in on that?

Terrific News coming out of YFD. It would make sense to have Squad 311 to respond for the East Side, in a similiar fashion as Rescue 1 does for the West Side. Should the incident require it, YFD could dispatch Rescue One to the East Side if their specialized equipment, not available on Squad 311, was needed. This way, both sides of the city are better covered. PLUS, it will certainly cut down on the extra mileage that Rescue One adds when they go on runs to the east side. I, too, think that SmokereaterR1 could answer alot of questions regarding this news. 1) Will the Collaspe Unit Rig (Currently housed at Station 11), continue to act in the same capacity when Squad 311 comes into play December 1st? 2) If not, what will they do with that Rig? 3) I would think that ALF would be the best company to supply this new style of RIG. Do you agree? 4) Is, what I mentioned above, as far as the plans for the New Squad 311 and its relationship to Rescue One, the way that YFD is going? 5) Will YFD be changing the Lettering on the existing 311 Mack Rig, to reflect "Squad 311" come December 1st? We all look forward to your answers - THANKS

YonkersR3-

As far as I know, the collapse will remain at 11. I heard the Collapse unit will still be in service and will be additional room for additional manpower if needed.

New Rochelle E-22 Is being replaced with a "Squad" 22 this month - this will be an ALF. YFD Is closely following the new New Rochelle rig, and specing it out. So I think it may be an ALF, But it's too soon to tell. Thats all the info I have right now, when I get any further info on this I will post.

Any update on who is making the new Squad, and when delivery can be expected?

are these new squads offically recoginized by westchester county and 60 control, i knwo there is a list of required features for an engine to be a engine a truck to be a truck and a squad to be a suad, they are on the 60 control website, it has to do with equipment carried as well as the ability to get a full crew at all times who meet all the required certifications so i would guess that these units meet the requirments, but will 60 control now recoginze squad companies on the radio? i know yonkers dispatchs them self so it may not apply there but new ro is done by 60, and what about us other westchester departments can we realy see a squad 270 from yorktown if they meet the requirments or even easyer what if hartsdale greenville of fairview all paid departments wanted to make squad 170 or squad 150.. how easly could we do this.

and with yonkers will squad 311 be added to all 10-29's will it be 4 engines 2 trucks rescue batt and the squad? what if its in 311's 1st due will there be a 5th engine sent so they could function as a squad, it seems if there respond to a ems call or another lesser call in their 1st due area the rig is not out of service if a run came in where squad equipment or training is needed and as i think this is a great change i think they need to iron out the SOPs of the squad and dispatch...

Squad 311 in service as of 11/30/04 at 2200hrs and now E-311 Is Permanently Out of Service. Squad 311 will act Just like a FDNY Squad Yes They will still run 10-45's (Medical) , Act primarily as an Engine Company and available to respond anywhere at the request of the IC for anything from Working Fires - To Simply assisting Rescue for any routine calls.

What si the point of creating a specialized company if it is going to bed tied up on an EMS call or any other routine call???

DMA, GOOD POINT!

I sorta fell a little behind on my FDNY Buff Days but I believe that FDNY Squads DO NOT run EMS unless a special circumstance??

Yonkers FD having Squad 311 I think is a great idea but as DMA mentioned if it's a "Special Unit" Why have it run on routine runs such as EMS runs.

Hopefully if the $#@! hits they fan they can 10-8 quick.

I am sure someone from Yonkers FD can jump on here and let us know what the deal is.

Yes, Great point guys. Maybe YFD will do a little trial and error. See how it goes doing the Medical runs, and if its a hassle then maybe they will cease it? However if it's primary role is an engine co. then I don't see why they can't do medical runs.

Well maybe they shouldn't have appointed the rig to be a primary engine company if they are trying to recreate it into a specialized piece of apparatus

As much as it is a specialized unit, just remember that it is the first due engine for a significant area of Yonkers. Besides that, if you listen to YFD a lot, you know that E311 was quite frequently within the first four due engines...a good percentage of any calls on the east side of Yonkers. Having a specialized unit is a good thing, sure, but the need for an engine in that location (or something that serves the purposes in the first due area--i.e. for medical aids) is for sure. If you look at the Rescue, it covers the west side (mostly), but it also has an engine in the area. There are engines in the area for 311 to be replaced, but it doesn't have anything in it's "first due" area that can replace it--if that makes any sense. Anyway, don't over estimate the amount of time spent on medical calls. The only time Yonkers engines are sent on "10-45s" in Yonkers is for a protocol-determined serious patient, not every call for an ambulance--as in some places where it's NOT necessary. Empress I believe has an average response time (if not average, I would say normally within) 8 minutes or so. Which means, with the ambulance crew on scene, barring any real, extra need for FD, the squad could be released right away, or within 10 minutes (roughly). It's not that large a trade off, and until there is another YFD primary response unit that would cover that area that E311 had, I don't think it should surrender its duties as an engine company. As for being one of the 4 assigned engines to a call (minus first or second due)...I'm not sure honestly whether or not it does that. Beyond first or second due, why not just pass it off to 312 or 314, I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference. In that case, it keeps the squard clear for more time.

Well maybe Yonkers should have thought about moving another engine into E311 first due so as to make sure they are never tied up on EMS. Think about the day they're gonna be bringing a 400 IBS. person down a few flights of stairs. That's gonna take a little longer than 10 minutes...And then they're gonna be a little drained as well. Just my opinion but i think Yonkers should have done a few more brain storming sessions prior to putting a specialized piece of equipment in service to run EMS calls! :-k ](*,)

But then again Pagano says it would take Kryptonite to bring his men down...So they might be able to do things fairly quickly LOL :roll:

But then again Pagano says it would take Kryptonite to bring his men down...So they might be able to do things fairly quickly LOL  :roll:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Around lunch time today, Yonkers dispatched Squad 11 (Squad 311), Engine 314, Ladder 70, AND Rescue 1 to an MVA on the bronx river parkway. If you ask me, it appears as though "Squad" is just a title. Especially if the unit is going to act as an Engine company all the time.

Around lunch time today, Yonkers dispatched Squad 11 (Squad 311), Engine 314, Ladder 70, AND Rescue 1 to an MVA on the bronx river parkway.  If you ask me, it appears as though "Squad" is just a title.  Especially if the unit is going to act as an Engine company all the time.

This is the same way that a FDNY squad acts, it is just an engine in its response area, squad simply defines it as a unit with additional rescue equiptment. Its just an engine unless it is ordered or requested otherwise. There may be imperfections, but there always with anything new. I think they may very well be able to save some wear on the rescue and perform truck ops on the east side of the city where there are only 2 truck companies

FDNY also has 6 Squads while Yonkers only has one. I say that if your going to put specialized equipment on it, dont send it on regular calls!!!!

Wow- more talk about Sq-311 on this board than on the job. 311 is still foremost an Engine Co. They still will respond to Medical runs within their district (only right). R-1 still responds citywide on all W/F. It was created to beef up our special ops capabilities, and get trained guys to eastside Tech incidents quicker and to support R-1. Rescue still responds to rope/haz-mat/pin jobs citywide. They will receive a Lukas tool, and do MVA's also when new rig arrives. This will put extrication equipment on R-1, L70,L72,L73,L74 & TL75- (in a week) and finally Sq-311. It is sort of based on FDNY's squad concept. They may NOT be riding on 10-30's(a/h) on the Westside of the city.

R1SMOKEATER,

Thanks for the update! :D

R1, whats the point of not sending them to 10/30s on the West side? Is the squad going to take the place of the rescue on the East side, so the Rescue will stay in service? Seems to me that you would want your most qualified guys at every job. How often are there more than one working 10/30 at the same time, Im guessing not very often. I would think that if there was a 10/30 on the west side, the squad would be best put to use as the FAST team, with all the equipment and tools on it. Whats ur take on that?

Well, it happened...Today at around 1420 hrs Squad 311 was dispatched to a Medical Call - 5 Minutes Later a full alarm assignment was sent to 77 hart avenue (See Incident Alert for Details) For a Working Fire and 311 was supposed to be on the original dispatch, but was substituted with E-306...So it was Engines 313, 312, 306, 304, Ladder 73, Ladder 74 , Rescue 1, Battalion 2. About 3 Minutes after E-313 confirmed a working fire, Squad 311 10-8ed them self's and responded, releiving Engine 306...I guess it was bound to happen one of these days...311 pulled up and went 10-8 about 2 minutes later. :roll:

What's your point though? That could happen with any engine. It was responding to that fire as an engine, and it would have been part of that assignment for that reason, not the squad status. Like was explained above, the Rescue was requested as well, so that's the rescue(/squad) responding to the scene, 311 would have been used as one of the 4 engines (though the squad is additional), not as an additional unit like the rescue was.

My point is... people were saying how this Squad should not run medical calls because it may interfeir with them responding to any structural or any special ops emergency. In this case it wasn't a sever fire...but what if people were trapped, or a confined space rescue was needed? That squad is specialized for the duty...311 would have been on scene before the Rescue, because 311 was closer to the call then the rescue.

Are they putting specialized firefighters on the Squad?

since YFD doesn't have another engine in Squad 11's primary area, you still need that engine co to respond on '45s. DFFD might not understand this but going to medical runs isn't as glamorous as fighting 'the big one' but saving someones life IS. I can think of 2 occasions in the last year that I responded w 311 and got stuck in taffic, upon getting to the house i found them w the AED hooked up to the pt and they were breathing for the pt bc they had just saved that person's life.... There is a point for them to go as first responders! Time counts wether it is saving a person from a burning building or just by putting a non-rebreather on someone it doesn't matter they are still saving a life... And until Station 11 runs with 2 engines Sq11 should still go on '45s.

901 deffently a true point 311 either as a squad or eng will save lives, hte issue here is that YFD needs to consider will the squad be tied up on a medical call when it may be neew for a actual call that requires a squad. thus the argument is mabe YFD needs another engine in 311' s area, or that the squad concipt needs to be better thought out. mabe engien 305 need to run out of station 11 and be reorginazed, or mabe they can have a small unit like rescue 29 from greenvilel that can ru out of 11 with a guy or 2 on 10-45 calls, thus leaving the squad in service to respond...

mabe the last suggestionisn;t a good one, the point is if its a specialized unit it needs to be available, and mabe another engine company can take away that burden, along with the growing nmumber of fires yonkers is gettin in recicent years i see no unjust reason to add an engine company.

also question here, how many guys are on the squad at a time is it a normal engine crew, or does this unit have increased staffing