Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tdc202

Computer software for preplans

3 posts in this topic

Hi all I am looking for some input and thoughts on a afforadable and easy computer program for preplans. Any thoughts experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tim D.

Hey Tim. I work with GIS maps and I am currently making haz-mat preplans with this software called ArcGIS Desktop. It isnt cheap at all, but if you check with your county government they might already have it and would let your dept use it. It takes satelite imagery and allows you to make maps, and display certain data. Like with my haz-mat map I have placed buffers around each location to mark the evacuation distances if a spill should occur, and I have marked the hot, warm, and cold zones, located possible sites suitable for command posts and staging areas and much more.

Let me look something up for you, and Ill send you a PM hopefully with some usefull info. Hope this helps.

Moose

TDC believe it or not the most inexpensive way to set up a computerized pre-plan is with Power Point and Google Earth. I have a copy from a local FD that works great. It is also a great way to put your maps on the PC.