Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Your 'Old' Cell Phone May Not Work in 2008!

3 posts in this topic

From the LA City FD Blog:

Your 'Old' Cell Phone May Not Work in 2008!

Do you receive cellular phone service via an older, analog-only handset?

Did you stow away an old analog-only cell phone for the exclusive purpose of calling 9-1-1?

Beginning at midnight on February 18, 2008, your service for these older devices may be affected!

As of that date, cellular phone companies are no longer required to provide analog cellular service.

If you have a handset with such advanced features such as text or instant messaging, Internet browsing, or an integrated camera, then you do not have an analog handset. Handsets with these features are digital handsets.

Customers with digital handsets will not be affected by this change!

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires cellular phone companies to notify their customers at least four months before they plan to discontinue analog cellular service, and again at least one month before discontinuing analog service.

Customers who receive a discontinuance notice from their cellular phone company and still have questions - or who want to know whether their coverage may be affected when they "roam" into another provider's service area, should contact their cellular phone company directly.

Some other devices, including residential alarm systems and vehicle telematics (i.e. OnStar ®) may also be effected by this change. To find out more about the "analog cellular sunset", visit:

FCC on Analog Cell Phones

This reminds me that all TV service is being switched over to digital in the near future as well. Those old dusty Quasars aren't going to cut it anymore!

Looks like I'm going to have to change from my old bag-phone and car phone to one of these new fangled jobs!