Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pentax02839

"Lowery Chuck" Hydrants

7 posts in this topic

Well, once again thank you for helping me with the origins of the Halligan tool.

Here is another topic. Does anyone know anything about "Lowery Chuck" hydrants? I know Boston had them at one time.

What is the history and orgin of them?

Were only made of brass?

Also, what companies made them?

It's possible Boston still has a few in use Downtown. They were (are??) flush mounted in the street with a manhole type cover on it. Apparatus carried the Lowry "Chuck" on the backstep, popped the cover and placed the "chuck" into the riser.

It's possible Boston still has a few in use Downtown. They were (are??) flush mounted in the street with a manhole type cover on it. Apparatus carried the Lowry "Chuck" on the backstep, popped the cover and placed the "chuck" into the riser.

I know there was mark on the side of side of building showing were the lowery chuck would go. I'm not sure if Boston has them anymore. Does any know if fdny ever had these?

Edited by DOC22
Grammar

As far as FDNY have never ever heard of a system like that. I current style and system goes back to around 1900.

So, I' im guessing that Boston was the only one with them. Does any know of any other cities that had them? Who invented them? Or was there anything like this anywere in this country?

Not Lowery Chuck, per se, however any city that had wooden water mains had the "earlier" version. Dig a hole to the main, poke a hole in it and tap it. When your done "plug" it and mark it.

Edited by Z19