Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

North Hudson Regional Fire Department in NJ???

4 posts in this topic

As the name suggests, is this regional fire dept made up of just the northern communities in Hudson County, NJ ?

If so, which ones?? I know that Hoboken and Jersey City are not included. You may well see something regionalized in Westchester like this someday. Even with some of the smaller police depts like Pelham and Pelham Manor they may be mergers. Why waste two cops x three shifts per day on desk duty alone? Makes no sense.

Thank You.

North Hudson Regional Fire consists of the former Fire Agencies; North Bergen, Weehawken, West New York, Guttenberg and Union City. The merger at the time as claimed by Officials would decrease the cost to tax payers. By eradicating the duplication of effort i.e. one HQ instead of five and so on. I believe it actually has. Also I believe that Departments that didn't have such a great contract also benefitted. The Unions protested at first but that quickly died down so I can only interpret this as something that was a positive for their members. Some in the community were upset as a couple of fire houses were relocated that were landmarks in their neighborhoods for decades. Jersey City, Bayonne and Hoboken stand alone and are full time paid. Secaucus is strictly vollie. A major point during the public forum was that when there is a fire most of the time mutual aid was requested so why not make it one big outfit. The future will only let us know if their will be a South Hudson Regional Fire. I hope this helps and answers your question.

Dr. Zuki,

The question of combining departments has been a big one in recent weeks in Pelham, but has actually been one of those things that comes up every 5 to 10 years, between both the Police and Fire Depts, and after all is said and done, more than likely nothing will change anytime soon.

I lived in Hoboken for a year after college right across the street from their 14th Street station... At the time they ran a Seagrave Tiller and Engine out of that station. It's less than 300 yards from the Weehawkin border and about 1/4 mile from a major NHRFR station. I did see that for a while HFD was running a lot of m/a to Weehawkin and Union City.