Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

More About Giving Drivers Licenses To Illegal Immigrants

35 posts in this topic

Kris, i am quite aware of Peurto Ricos connection to the US, not my gripe. My problem was that i had to stand there and listen as this man had to have everything repeated to him in Spanish, as he could not understand the desk clerk...because he was speaking ENGLISH!

I am also aware that there are exams now given in Spanish, another issue in my mind, but thats a whole other topic and im to tired to care right now.

First, although it has been said many, many times already on the thread, Ill again say, I’m totally against any ILLEAGEL immigrant having a government issued ID, drivers' license, etc.

That being said:

If "Mr. Illegal" comes from "Country X" and has 5 DWI's in "Country X", including one that killed a whole family, then illegally comes to the United States. We are going to give "Mr. Illegal" a driver's license? Who knows who motor vehicle licensing goes wherever he comes from...they may not have ANY accurate records...how would we know?

Homeland Security should be upset, we are opening ourselves up, AGAIN!

It is as simple as my two points

First: The law is the law. Many laws are hard to read and hard to interpret. But this is on that can plainly be understood as if you are here illegally you dont belong here and should not be getting privileges only suppose to be available to citizens and legal immigrants.

Second: What nation in the world other than the United States is thinking of doing this? Look at Mexico, our 'humble' partner to the south. If you as an American illegally in that nation were caught what do you think the punishment would be? And not just Mexico, but any Central or South American nation, or any nation in the world.

This is simple.

Edited by PC_420

Ok, I've read the posts and a lot of people have valid points. I'm totally against NYS issuing licenses to illegal immigrants. Driving in this great country is a privelage, not a right. Working as a dispatcher in a PD that borders Danbury CT, I see a lot of people driving without licenses. We pull the same people over and over again and they don't give a rat's heiny. We have a lady from Brazil that married a gentleman in our town that refuses to get a drivers license because she says she doesn't need one. Then you have the people showing the officers licenses from their home countries that are expired. To top it off, the officers pull people over that live in CT but their license is from Maine, Pensylvania, or some southern state. If NYS makes it easier for illegals to get licenses, they will all flock to NY and make it harder on the legal US citizens. NY will be paying more for schools, medical, and other expenses of these illegals on the backs of the legal citizens/taxpayers! I'm all for people trying to better their lives. My family all came from Ellis Island. The US should reopen something like Ellis Island to help regulate who comes into this coutry as well as strenghten our borders. Don't even get me started on the state giving driving tests in many different languages. :angry:

Being from Port Chester you can say that I have first hand knowledge of the BIG issues surrounding this problem. I am not in favor at all for giving illegals licences of any sort. Just because they obtain a license does not mean they are going to rush out and get insurance or keep it if they get it. You look at alot of the license plates in town and you will see North Carolina plates. That is because you do not need social security numbers there to register a vehicle. This is common in Port Chester.

Now another issue that has not been touched upon is the fact that the burden of these illegals in society is what is causing hospitals to close and schools to be overcrowded. What is the answer to that? Don't help them? Turn them away? It is way too late for that. United Hospital in Port Chester closed two years ago due to the overwhelming number of illegal patients not having coverage or paying their bills. Now they are all going to White Plains or Greenwich. Let's see how long it takes before there are problems there. Now the schools are building classrooms every year to accomidate the influx of new students.

Where does it end?