JetPhoto

Newburgh police consider PistolCam

13 posts in this topic

www.Recordonline.com

Newburgh police consider PistolCam

Department would be first in U.S. to use this technology By John Doherty

Times Herald-Record

October 30, 2007

City of Newburgh — In a city where the street version of events is often worlds apart from the police version, a new technology might help bridge the gap.

Yesterday, city officials showed off the PistolCam, a lightweight, pager-sized digital camera that attaches to an officer's gun barrel and automatically begins recording as soon as the officer draws his weapon.

Newburgh is looking to become the first police force in the country to use the new cameras, and police and city officials hope it can help cool relations between police and residents. Tensions here have been raised by several high-profile incidents, including a shoot-out between city police and 23-year-old Antonio Bryant, which left Bryant dead in the middle of Broadway last year.......

October 30, 2007

Nation - Police Officers nationwide will soon be assigned their own liberal to follow them around both on an off duty. Each liberal will be armed with a high-definition video camera to

document the Officer's actions. The program is said to cost in excess of $245,457,897,345,230.94. Taxpayers in every state will see a slight increase in their taxes to fund the

project which is anticiapted to begin in 2010, non-taxpaying citizens will, of course, not feel any effects, and will have no drop in current services they are provided, like free healthcare,

food stamps and other such programs. A search for candidates will begin in December 2007, potential applicants can apply via the website www.complainabouteverything.com or

www.wantwantwantanddonothingforit.com. John Smith, President of The Coalition for Stripping Police of Power and Independant Thought (or SPPIT) thinks it will

be a great success. Mr. Smith adds that copies of video tapes will be furnished to private citizens if they choose to sue the Police Department or Officer, he adds that they can be

doctored (at SPITT's expense) to incriminate the Officer even if they clearly did nothing wrong. The coalition also hopes to organize many fund drives throughout the year, like

National "Jam up an innocent cop day" and a contest to see who has gotten the largest settlement from a municipality for absolutely nothing. The winners wiill receive free legal

representation for 4 years. Police unions across the country are expected to have a negative reaction to the program.

When will it stop? Im waiting for my tracking chip to be implanted in my head and a satellite to take "Google Earth" type photos of my every action.

Edited by OnTheWheel

I think this is an awesome idea. Just as useful as the traffic cam in a car. The more oversight the better protection for both the police and more importantly the citizens.

Hopefully PBA's tell em to go shove it!

lol mine WAS a joke, i got on a rant.

and the LAST thing I want to worry about when I pull my gun is a damn camera, is it on? is there enough light? am I blocking it? etc!

Edited by OnTheWheel

I am serious...more weight added to the gun, what if the camera causes it to get jammed in your holster and you get shot? Too many issues...

I agree with that, I was saying that my "article" was a joke, something fabricated by my ticked off mind. thought you were referring to that with the PBA thing. But yes, PBA's need to get on them about this camera, pronto!

I just checked out the site, http://pistolcam.com/ it is definitly bulky and would need a larger holster.

Edited by OnTheWheel

I can see where the added documentation might help things at times, but on the other hand when are we going to completly stop trusting cops?

It seems if an officer fires his weapon, he's immediately condemed, even if he was protecting his own life.

Can you imagine an "ambulance cam", that watches you in the back giving patient care? Or a camera on your fire helmet to document your actions? It's all technologies that exist. There are plus sides, like training and documentation, but there are also down sides, like nitpicking and employers/employees losing trust in one another. In such a litigous society, could this help? If you're confident in the way you handle things, there shouldn't be an issue for 99.9% of us.

I think technologies I previously mentioned, plus the Pistol Cam, should be made available to, BUT, the person should have the choice whether they want to use it or not.

How about "light cameras" that capture and record all vehicle operations when blue, red, green, yellow, white, purple, cyan, indigo (you get the point) lights are activated on an emergency vehicle or any other vehicle operating with them. Record vehicle speed, braking, use of seatbelts, crossing pavement markings, etc. whenever the lights are activated.

That'd make for some interesting viewing!

Do the County PD cars cameras automatically turn on with the lights or is it all a manual application...user has to activate it?

Edited by Oswegowind

It's a pretty cool idea but I don't think I want one. Camera idea is good and could help you in cases, laser is not bad but people tend to use them instead of the sights. Not sure how much it weighs, specs do not say the weight, either way not sure I would like anything on the end of my weapon.

...not sure I would like anything on the end of my weapon.

Perhaps a bayonnet? ;)

I have to agree with Seth, why not admit that there is no trust in law enforcement and let society police itself. Being a Cop in a situation where they have to draw and fire their weapon has to be the toughest thing anyone would have to do.

Let the bullets tell the story, not a camera!

Most car cams turn on with your lights (certain switch positions), your siren or the mic on you can activate it as well. They can also be set to record the previous 2 minutes before its activated, dont ask, digital technology. SO, moral of the story: do the right thing and you need not worry! They have helped here so far!!!