Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Mack C Rescues

16 posts in this topic

Here is first sample of Mack C from West Hempstead NY, photos of actual rig that is up in orange county

post-64-1194212817.jpg

Here is first sample of Mack C from West Hempstead NY, photos of actual rig that is up in orange county

Who is making this diecast?? Code3?

Looks like Mt. Vernon's 1968 Mack Rescue.

well done.are they on stand like code three?

Nice ! :D

Picture posted by dc2t

Mt.Vernon FD photo

post-23-1194233857.jpg

They don't make Rescue Trucks like that anymore. That was one fine looking MACK C Rescue Rig. Dead-Ringer to the West Hempstead Truck. Someone mentoned that the West Hempstead Rig is up in Orange County? Does anyone know where? Is it still in service?

From an apparatus view point that Mack Rescue served the department and the city well, once again the city getting the most for its tax dollar. From the mid 60's to 1977 that rig responded to all fires and emergencies within Mount Vernon and sometimes neighboring communities, it was a very busy time for the fire department in Mount Vernon. I am proud to say I worked that company as a firefighter, driver, and fire oficer for more than 13 years with some of the best firefighters Mount Vernon ever had. One big happy family that couldn't wait to go to work, and work it did!

It was a great time in the history of the Mount Vernion Fire Department.

From an apparatus view point that Mack Rescue served the department and the city well, once again the city getting the most for its tax dollar. From the mid 60's to 1977 that rig responded to all fires and emergencies within Mount Vernon and sometimes neighboring communities, it was a very busy time for the fire department in Mount Vernon. I am proud to say I worked that company as a firefighter, driver, and fire oficer for more than 13 years with some of the best firefighters Mount Vernon ever had. One big happy family that couldn't wait to go to work, and work it did!

It was a great time in the history of the Mount Vernion Fire Department.

Hey HAC what were the horses names that pulled your engine??

Here is photo of Hempstead Mack at Orange County warehouse. Courtesy of FAJ

post-64-1194273440.jpg

ChiefHac - Very nice comments relating to your personal history with that Rescue Rig in Mount Vernon during the 1960's and 1970's. I remember fondly, the Mack C's (Both the Engine Companies and Rescue 1 that ran with the Mack C's, along with the Snorkel Unit, Foam Unit and the Ladder Companies running ALF's). Mount Vernon had a very nice compliment of front line apparatus, that were very well thought out. I remember the "Big Job" in Mount Vernon, back in the Early 1970's, at the Corner of 4th Avenue and 1st Street, when a huge fire took out the Pool Hall, Jewelry Store, Fanny Farmer, The Old Bee Hive Restaurant and others. When I saw FDMV fight that fire, I knew that Mount Vernon had an excellent fire department.

ChiefHac - Very nice comments relating to your personal history with that Rescue Rig in Mount Vernon during the 1960's and 1970's. I remember fondly, the Mack C's (Both the Engine Companies and Rescue 1 that ran with the Mack C's, along with the Snorkel Unit, Foam Unit and the Ladder Companies running ALF's). Mount Vernon had a very nice compliment of front line apparatus, that were very well thought out. I remember the "Big Job" in Mount Vernon, back in the Early 1970's, at the Corner of 4th Avenue and 1st Street, when a huge fire took out the Pool Hall, Jewelry Store, Fanny Farmer, The Old Bee Hive Restaurant and others. When I saw FDMV fight that fire, I knew that Mount Vernon had an excellent fire department.

Thanks for the nice words! That fire (Fanny Farmer, Fourth Avenue and First Street was March 3, 1980.

Chiefhac:

Do you have access to any to any printed History (and Photos, if available) of the Mount Vernon Fire Department, say from 1964 thru 1984, that might be available? I have tried to contact Chief Everett and Commissioners Cicchetti and Norman, but they were not much help

How much information do you have on that Fanny Farmer Incident in 1980 (wow, I thought that it was earlier in the 1970's, but after thinking about it, you are right)? What was the initial responses from within FDMV? What additional FDMV Companies ended up responding? What additional Mutual Aid responses came in to help fight the blaze?

I also remember the Train Crash back then as well.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I put the year between 64-66. I know the last of the CF engines had the boxier style cabs. I think they were produced from 67-90.