Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
irishfire2491

Tactical Medic?

12 posts in this topic

I have heard it before What is a tactical medic??

Is there a team in Westchester??

Is it only for ALS CREWS or BLS CREW, or BOTH??

What is It used for and what qulifactions do you need??

How did it ever Start??

thanks for any info

I was always on my mind on what the team is all about.

Edited by irishfire2491

Just a guess... but I think a tactical medic would be for something like a Police/SWAT team?

Just a guess

There is a tactical medic program, BLS can partake in it as well. It gives EMS personnel the skills to treat law enforcement officers involved in a tactical situation. I haven't taken the course, but i know ALS can fill in some of the gaps. As far as qualifications, you need to be an EMT or Paramedic. I know of a few agencies that provide tactical support for their local PDs or SWAT/ESU/etc.

My department here in NJ has had tactical paramedics for close to twenty years. Our county SWAT (actually called SORT...Special Operations Response Team) is made up of officers from municipal and county departments in Middlesex County. Training sessions are held twice a month. We train with the officers and dress in the same uniforms. We have PT standards that have to be meet and although we are not armed we usually qualify with an assortment of weapons. Even then we need to know how to render the weapons safe in the event we are treating an officer. We get several jobs a month, mostly no knock warrents.

This is from the County Prosecutor's web site.....

The Middlesex County Special Operations Response Team is financially funded and trained by the Prosecutor's Office and manned primarily by police officers from the County's Municipal Police Departments. The Team possesses the skills necessary for successful hostage recovery: tactical maneuvering, communications, weapon use and negotiation techniques.

Some other local NJ agencies with tactical EMS units include.....

University Hospital EMS, Newark, NJ http://www.uh-ems.org/ert.html

Bergen County PD/Hackensack Univ Medical Center http://www.humc.com/mobileicu/emergresponse.shtml

Somerset County, NJ SWAT Team http://www.scpo.net/scert.htm

There is a program for a tactical medic, it is not however a state certification level, it's only a program certificate. The title Medic does not denote ALS necessarially it is a term for the medical personell on a tactical team so it can be an EMT-B. I was looking into taking the class awhile back but decided not too on the advice of a freind who took the class and said it wasn't worth it. I'm pretty sure there are a couple people on this fourm who have taken the class and can fill you in further. But in the meantime you can check out this web site which will probably answer most of your questions.

New York Tactical EMS

ossining vac has a tactical ems unit, maybe someone from ovac can explain...

Irish...I am a tactical medic where I work. If you want any more info ask me next time we are on a job together. I'll also have some additional information for you.

To answer your question here a bit more there are basically two types of tactical medics: armed and unarmed. I operate as an unarmed member of a TEMS Team that is assigned with the PD tac team. Basically I took a course and most of the tactical medic curriculums come from military medic programs in medical terms and cover some basic, general tactical environment settings and knowledge. The line of thinking in hot zone treatment vs. cold zone is a bit different and different equipment and adjuncts are often used to speed treatment and also reduce the amount of light needed in the event you need light discipline. One overlooked concept because it isn't very glorified for some is that of "sick call" management for extended operations, which one occurred not so long ago in Baltimore County for a very extended period of days. This is direct support of personnel to keep the operation going efficiently from boo boo's to headaches, to anything else you might need. Most teams carry a OTC medication kit for such things. Also one of the most important is training support. You not only train with your team, but it builds trust and operational fluidness that is critical in any military or paramilitary setting.

The concept has been around for quite some time down south and out west where PD's utilized FD medics to support their operations. It falls under the principle that most trauma related fatalities in combat like environments or wounds (gunshots, explosives) occur due to uncontrolled hemhorrage. Some PD's train their own medics to operate in this manner as well but many choose to utilize line medics due to their experience and operational efficiency from being on the road. Most that I have come into contact with utilize ALS due to the expanded scope of treatment options. In many places in the northeast this is a "new" concept that some are resistive too, naturally change is difficult particularly in close knit emergency services like law enforcement but the benefits to the officers and civilian casualties is huge.

Who has the largest TEMS Team in the nation? Littleton, Colorado. Formed after the Columbine incident where at least one teacher was known to have bled to death. Also the LA bank robbery shootout is also cited as another instance where the use of TEMS could have been beneficial being their were numerous law enforcement and civilian casualties who could not make it out of the hot zone for treatment. TEMS implementation was also a recommendation by the USFA report of the Columbine incident stating the need for specially trained EMS providers is highly recommended and needed. Just as every other emergency service has specialty training and units...EMS is not much different.

Edited by alsfirefighter

As ALS has said Tactical medics have been around for along time especially out west and down south. As studies have found it was easier to teach a medic or Fire/Medic to shoot than it was to send a cop through 1-2 years of paramedic training. I know in CT many Special Response Teams (SWAT) pull from the Cop ranks of guys who are at least EMTs to be their "Tactical Medic". They are not Paramedics persay but have been trained in combat medicine. Quick triage of gunshot wounds rapid treatment and movement. The Tactical Medics are always at the back of any operation

How are you activited in to a responsive mode?

Thanks for all the info I am really looking into taking the class when I can find one \

Thanks again

I'm not quite sure what you exactly mean.

If you mean how we are notified of a callout or an incident I'm going to have to apologize but that is agency specific and also sensitive information. There are numerous different ways this is and can be done and is like I said agency specific.

When we are on a job together next time, remind me and I will answer any other questions and give you some info on available courses.

If you mean how we are notified of a callout or an incident I'm going to have to apologize but that is agency specific and also sensitive information.

Ok, since ALS cannot divulge his secrets, I will for him. Sorry to ruin your secret signal ALS.

EMSMan.jpg