Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Mohegan FD Dispatch

13 posts in this topic

For the last week or so, I have heard Mohegan FD being dispatched by 60 Control. Is this permanent or temporary?

It is permanent. Dispatch was taken over by 60 Control in the last week of October. Each station has a seperate tone alert on top of the general tone alert.

Have they eliminated the extra career position or is the former dispatcher now available for responses?

no positions are eleminated this way it is a better dispatch and both agencies mohegan fire and mohegan ems get the call at the same time there is no delay in any way. So far so good there are a few things that have to be fixed like anything new but in time everything will be ironed out.

There were plenty of times when headquarters got dumped for other alarms and control didnt have any idea what apparatus was in service in what station and what was close to the fire now they know where everything is makes things easier for us and we dont have to worry about manning headquarters

Change is good. I only hope the 60-Control Dispatchers get compensated for the additional approx. 2000 calls they will do each year. As more departments go to a centralized dispatch, the dispatch agency has to grow to compensate. With this addition it seems they should have to put an additional dispatcher on each shift.

Central dispatch is the way to go. Works very well in Dutchess and takes the burdon off of the incident commander at major scenes - all mutual aid coordination is set up in advance and the beat goes on. As for 60 Control receiving additional compensation for Mohegan's volume - I'm sure they will address their own staffing concerns, etc.

Central dispatch is the way to go. Works very well in Dutchess and takes the burdon off of the incident commander at major scenes - all mutual aid coordination is set up in advance and the beat goes on. As for 60 Control receiving additional compensation for Mohegan's volume - I'm sure they will address their own staffing concerns, etc.

In the words of "Borat" - "Pause, not."

We've grown quite a bit in the 5+ years I have been here and staffing hasn't changed at all. PS we still make the same money too, seems CSEA and Westchester County can't settle a contract for nearly two years - AGAIN.

If I am remembering correctly, since I started we have taken on the dispatching of the following (In the past 5 years).

-Armonk FD & EMS

-Chappaqua FD

-Continenal Village FD (Primary before having Putnam retone).

-Mamaroneck Town FD

-Mamaroneck Village FD

-Mohegan FD

-Mount Kisco FD

-Pelham Manor FD

-Port Chester FD

-Rye FD

-Rye Brook FD

-Pelham ALS

-Eastchester EMS

-Mohegan VAC

It's been a large call increase but we handle it pretty well, I think. ;)

Does this mean they will stop using the radio like it was a telephone?

If I am remembering correctly, since I started we have taken on the dispatching of the following (In the past 5 years).

-Armonk FD & EMS

-Chappaqua FD

-Continenal Village FD (Primary before having Putnam retone).

-Mamaroneck Town FD

-Mamaroneck Village FD

-Mohegan FD

-Mount Kisco FD

-Pelham Manor FD

-Port Chester FD

-Rye FD

-Rye Brook FD

-Pelham ALS

-Eastchester EMS

-Mohegan VAC

It's been a large call increase but we handle it pretty well, I think. ;)

You do handle it well but you need to be compensated for it. In Putnam there are only 13 FDs and 4 VACS. We already dispatch them. As you add additional agencies you need to be compensated for the additional work. Wake up Westchester Legislators! These guys jobs are getting harder, compensate them!

What sort of wages are you guys on over there, wouldn't mind comparing it to Australia, my department uses firefighters on secondment, so we keep the same wages.

Duplication of communications services delays and risk the loss of pertinent information. A centralized dispatch center can help prevent some of those problems, a group of common communications channels also help.

- Nothing most people on here don't already know.

Screwed up contract negations is all CSEA is good for!

Come on now CommandChief...play nice. Not for nothing but it says your from northern Westchester. I know of a department from up that way that for some time was considered a bit of a nuisance when it came to dispatching of calls themselves. Particulary when it was like the 3rd tone for an "attendant."

Best of luck to Mohegan on the switch. As 585 pointed out their volume keeps growing and they do an awesome job keeping up with it and dealing with the attitudes of those whom don't understand that the world doesn't revolve around them and their call. The biggest thing is I certainly hope that the district doesn't lose staffing because of a dispatching change. That would be incredibly ludicrous to do that. You should never cut back services regardless of what certain settiments are about.

I think it is about time...I think that leaves Croton as the only Department in the Town of Cortlandt that is not dispatched by 60 control...however, correct me if I am wrong, 60 dispatches Croton if they get the job instead of calling the police desk for dispatch as was done in the past...so when their FAST is required there is no delay in getting that resource dispatched. It is my opinion that all Westchester County FD's (excluding the largest City) should be dispatched by the central communications center (60 control). There is no reason that they should have their own dispatchers. We always see the jobs that get posted and the mutual aid that is getting called...centralization eliminates phone calls to individual agencies and allows for better communications management of incidents. However, if you want your local cops dispatching you, that is your choice...just remember, they are cops and most of the time they don't really care about firefighters...well at least that is my experience!