Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Yellow Ladders

5 posts in this topic

I was checking out a local guy's website who does Fire Photography, and came across shots of crews using a yellow (I assume fiberglass) ladder for ventilation.

I am not trying to flame them, but last I remember, the only ladders that NFPA approved were wood or aluminum. I have the pics bookmarked but wanted opinions first. I have never seen anyone using this kind of ladder on a fireground before.

Correction: my job has the ladders as described below by RES20CUE. Never realized that fiberglass met NFPA.

Edited by Danger

Those ladders are made by Duo-Safety and do meet NFPA Standards. They have fiberglass rails with aluminum rungs. They are much heavier than the full aluminum ladders, and of course with the added weight they are sturdier, as well.

We use fiberglass ladders on our 3 Engines - Truck has aluminum ladders. We went to fiberglass when we phaased out the wooden ones. PS - the 35' fiberglass ladder weighs close to 200 pounds....don't try lifting it alone! Otherwise you may leave one, maybe two, of your "jewels" on the ground. ;)