Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCJPells

Physical Ability Testing

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody do Physical Ability Testing for volunteers to become a Firefighter? I am considering an approch to this and it would be a modified CPAT exam.

Pros

Cons

Does anybody do Physical Ability Testing for volunteers to become a Firefighter? I am considering an approch to this and it would be a modified CPAT exam.

Pros

Cons

I guess the FPAT works well enough to narrow the field for people who want the job bad enough to show up, and to ensure people fit enough to stay on the list, huh?

It is a very good idea, and unheard of in anything other than extremely progressive departments.

There can be an envisioned uproar about this in a lot of communities, I am sure, but the idea is a noble one. Wanting to ensure that the people you entrust to help the public can handle the stresses without overtaxing their selves is quite a concept [sarcasm] imagine that! [/sarcasm]

Like I said, I am sure many would be opposed to it, but what it REALLY comes down to is this:

You (the department) are ultimately responsible for these people, and their appearance, and capabilities. If you want to REALLY ensure that they are "qualified", you have to go for it, and not worry too much about what everyone else THINKS!

If this comes to fruition, please let me know how it will work out, I am quite curious!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

I'm sure you know the FPAT was created to help ensure people who are hired in Dutchess County have a greater chance of passing the manditory (for most) CPAT. With that in mind, should we also not want to ensure that our volunteers are capable of doing the physical tasks of a firefighter, not just pass classes.

I'm sure you know the FPAT was created to help ensure people who are hired in Dutchess County have a greater chance of passing the manditory (for most) CPAT. With that in mind, should we also not want to ensure that our volunteers are capable of doing the physical tasks of a firefighter, not just pass classes.

Most certainly. I guess my posting boiled down to what you said, I just didn't say it in so many words!

Very progressive Jeff and I couldn't agree more. Wish I was only a walk down the hall to assist you with it. Funny enough I was thinking of the similiar idea and how I think its not that far off in the future that you will probably see this and annual requirements for career personnel. I'm also all for having a recertification requirement for all firefighters much like other professions have to maintain their credentials.

While we don't have a physical ability testing for entry level firefighters, here in PA we issue skills certification cards to firefighters every year. There is one card for interior firefighter qualification (black stripe) and one for vehicle rescue (blue stripe). Each card contains roughly 20 skills that need to be signed off by an officer before the end of the year or the firefighter's qualifications are revoked. Firefighters are expected to demostrate skills either at drills or calls and are only signed off by their direct supervisors. Additionally, for both black and blue stripes there are required prerequisite courses: PA Firefighter 1 (or equivalent) and PA DOH Vehicle Rescue Technician (or equivalent).

The system has its fair share of drawbacks. One of those is little accountability for the line officers, who are also issued cards. The other is that the system is casually enforced and most skills evaluations are crammed into a drill night towards the end of the year. I am a firm believer in physical ability standards and testing for volunteers. Unfortunately, most chief and line officers are elected and are afraid of taking on such a cause for fear of losing votes from the less progressive types. Kudos to anyone with the guts to take on a predominantly unpopular yet extremely essential program.