Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

60 Control Opinions

14 posts in this topic

I am currently working with my Department heads on our never-ending dispatching woes. We are at a "discussion only" phase, and I am looking for a little firepower.

If any Chiefs are out there - or people in the "know" - that in the past few years have switched to 60 Control, could you please PM me and tell me how it has worked for you.

This is not anything to do with 60 Control. I am just trying to get opinions "from the field" to bring to the attention of our white hats.

Some info I am looking for;

Reasons you switched

Has your call volume changed?

Are you happy with the change?

Opinions on EMD

Anything else you have to offer.

Thanks.

hi well i know a capt. in a ems agency who went to 60 and they like it because it's very orgainize ,but they have there own frequnicy. so they have little to no interfearce with other agencys. so if you had to make a choses between 46.26 or noting at all. i would stay with your stytem you have now because on a bad rain or snow storm or even a bussy day with fires and such you are not going to be happy with all the chatter you'll get. to make a long story short if you don't have a PL to 60 don't do it

i hope this helps and good luck

I'm not sure what year CFFD went with 60 Control, but we were one of the first. I would say it was back in the 80's ? But the minor problems (crowded 46.26 and the relativly few phone line and radio tie line or repeater problems) not withstanding, we have been quite happy with them. Overall I am unaware of any regrets. As a mater of fact, the first several years we were with 60 Control, they were very surprised with the great response time we've enjoyed. We have the good fortune of having a surprisingly large number of members who work in the District who can USUALLY respond during working hours.

I think the Croton PD does a great job. Hell, sometimes they dont even call you guys! CHECK and ADVISE!!!!!

Remember585,

As a Firefighter for Peekskill FD I must say 60-Control does a great job! They are the way to go. I monitor various radio frequencies and agencies that DES dispatches. The days of PD dispatching FIRE/EMS have to come to an end. Obviously you know 1st hand why.

Previous comment "CHECK AND ADVISE" exactly! That can mean the difference between life and death. In FIRE/EMS even 5 minutes is a long time as we all know. How quickly can a CHF patient go downhill or how quickly can a fire spread in 5 minutes? QUICK!

The only problem I have is that dispatcher "642" He has no clue what he is doing. LOL! Just kidding JM, You da man!

Enough said.... 60 Control for Croton Fire / EMS!

Not to mention 642's really really really big HEAD!!!!!!!!

Did Croton switch to 60 yet? because I heard them get dispatched by them this morning.

IF the call came in via cell phone and was routed to 60 control by SP, they may have done the initial dispatch. Same happens with decent frequency in Armonk.

Nah... Croton hasn't switched yet, but some officers are certainly pushing for the oppurtunity for us to be dispatched by professionals!

Hopefully its gonna happen soon before someone gets hurt!!!!!!

What kind of process is it to switch to 60 Control?

montrose went to 60 control around 1985,after years of being answered by the peekskill answering service the time was right to go to 60 control because of a few reasons

1) the answering service could only blow the whistle which in turn activated the home alerts and minimal amount of pagers that were assigned to members at that time.the 1st member in the firehouse was required to pick up the "red" phone and speak to the operator on the other end who would give you the location of the incident as well as the name of the residence where the emergency might have been, the "radioman" then would re-transmit the alarm over the montrose base radio,he would be rerquired to stay on the radio until another radioman showed up,this was a problem because many times a driver would be stuck on the radio!

2) 2 remote radios were available -one being in the fulgums house on orchard st where madge fulgum (remote 1) would transmit the alarm and monitor the radio,she did this for years since her husband fritz was a chief in the early 60s. a second remote (remote2) was usually put in the chiefs home and was either operated by the chief or the chiefs wife, this was the method for years,

By going to 60 control the alarm was transmitted immediatly by the radio operators at control which activated the tones as well as the sirens,this method was welcomed because it did not tie up the 1st driver on the radio which in turn allowed an engine to respond quicker that the old method of 1st man in has to be on the radio.enough history for now! amazing how far things have gone over 20 years,now the calls come over the nextels!

I really believe that many of the problems associated with communications lies in the fact that so many different agencies handling the dispatch themselves or for others. Everything from response time all the way to managing mutual aid and automatic dual response would be simpler and more effective if everyone were to be dispatched from under the same roof........perhaps excluding some of the cities who more or less handle themselves with little interaction with the rest of the county.