Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester: Recycle, or we won't pick up your garbage

15 posts in this topic

(11/28/07) YONKERS - Recycling is not just an option in Westchester, it's mandatory, and now officials have a new plan to enforce.

Westchester County recycled almost a million tons last year, but county officials want to do more and they want residents to do their part.

Starting in January, recyclables will have to be sorted by plastic or paper. If not, the bins will be marked with a yellow warning sticker. Recycling that is not properly sorted by February will be tagged with a red sticker. If that occurs, the trash will not be picked up.

"It's very good for the environment and it's good for tax payers. We make money on recycled materials," said County Executive Andy Spano of the new initiative.

County officials say there will be postcards sent to residents detailing the new program.

i think this is a geat innovative idea!

As some global resources become more and more scarce, I imagine you'll start to see a lot more aggressive programs like this across the country. Kudos to Westchester for taking the initiative

No problem with this at my house. I always separate the paper from the plastics.

Such a hard concept for some to grasp! Another reason for court ordered birth control!

Is this for Joe Taxpayer or more for the larger commercial accounts. Whos going to be on sticker patrol?

Edited by OnTheWheel

Such a hard concept for some to grasp! Another reason for court ordered birth control!

Is this for Joe Taxpayer or more for the larger commercial accounts. Whos going to be on sticker patrol?

as i saw on news 12, i think its more for residential...correct me if im wrong.

also, how are you comparing recycling waste and birth control!?

Don't most municipalites have separate days for recycling? Or is this new thing about separating paper from plastic from glass? And will they refuse to pick up just the recyclables, or the regular trash as well?

Don't most municipalites have separate days for recycling? Or is this new thing about separating paper from plastic from glass? And will they refuse to pick up just the recyclables, or the regular trash as well?

seperating paper and plastic

Im not comparing birth control and recycling, im simply stating: If you cant grasp the concept of separate plastic and paper then you should not be able to reproduce, therefore the court should order you to be fixed to help control the moron population!

Edited by OnTheWheel

For some, the easiest things to comprehend, are usually the most difficult.

What he meant was, some people that are a little slow ( sometimes a lot) on the up-take of things, should not produce other human beings that will most likely be the same way. Therefore, in such a situation, courts should be in charge of those who should not produce. Not knocking people that have real problems and are not responsible for such things.

People should know certain things, that are easy to follow, really easy, like how to recycle, separate paper from plastic, easy things such as that.

It was just a remark, sarcastic, but to the point.

For some, the easiest things to comprehend, are usually the most difficult.

What he meant was, some people that are a little slow ( sometimes a lot) on the up-take of things, should not produce other human beings that will most likely be the same way. Therefore, in such a situation, courts should be in charge of those who should not produce. Not knocking people that have real problems and are not responsible for such things.

People should know certain things, that are easy to follow, really easy, like how to recycle, separate paper from plastic, easy things such as that.

It was just a remark, sarcastic, but to the point.

lol now i feel like a moron. thats one thing i hate about type, sometimes you just don't get the sarcasm!

SgtGumby311, i would guess they write down your address? maybe its one of those abnormally annoying stickers that you get on you car when a tow company puts on a boot! either way i'd just get a new recycling container!

This sounds like a great idea!! I just hope all of the different municipalities actually enforce it....

Rye does not have seperate collection days for plastic and paper recycling, they are both collected at the same time once a week (depending on where you live on one of your garbage collection days).

Where I used to live in north Jersey, the garbage guys would drop your plastic bag on the ground and if they heard any glass or cans in it (which "should" have been recycled) they'd leave your garbage--all of it.

We used to have to separate all of the following into separate bins--brown glass, green glass, clear glass, newspaper, recyclable plastic. We had to provide the containers. We took the magazines and "office" type paper to a container where Marcal would use it to make toilet paper. (That's why Marcal is what it is--it's all recycled from the junk from the citizens of Passaic county.)

The problem with recycling is that it used to make money for municipalities...then the bottom dropped out of the market and it was sometimes costing municipalities to recycle the stuff. Chicago wants to ban plastic water bottles because so much of it ends up in the waste stream. Our town makes you bag your leaves and grass clippings if you want it picked up--big kraft paper bags. My neighbor hired a lawn service because he couldn't deal with bagging the stuff.

If you had a red sticker on your bin, wouldn't you just peel it off?

I'd hope they take note of the address also.

Did the article say when the civil service test for Garbage Sticker Applier will be offered?