Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Odd MVA...well odd for MV.

4 posts in this topic

Car hits deer on N/B Hutch in Mount Vernon

By NICOLE NEROULIAS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 28, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON - A car hit a deer that ran onto the northbound Hutchinson River Parkway near the Cross County Parkway early today.

The accident was reported around 6:30 a.m. The driver was unharmed, but the deer was killed, Westchester County police said.

No lanes are blocked, police said.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation estimates the state deer population is 800,000, and there are more than 60,000 deer-vehicle collisions in New York each year. The likelihood of being involved in a collision with a deer in New York is 1 in 186, according to State Farm Insurance claims data from July 2006 to June of this year.

November typically has the highest number of the vehicle-deer collisions, with most occurring between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m. or 4:30 and 6:30 p.m.

Transportation reporter Khurram Saeed contributed information for this report.

Reminds me of the time I saw a coytoe on the Cross County Pkwy near MVHS's football field.

Edited by CAM502

Also form Lohud:

How to avoid the deer!

Some tips on how to reduce the chance of colliding with a deer:

- Be aware of posted deer-crossing signs. These are placed in active deer-crossing areas.

- Remember that deer are most active between 6 and 9 p.m.

- Slow down when approaching deer standing near the roadside; they may bolt at the last minute.

- Use high-beam headlights as much as possible at night to illuminate areas from which deer will enter roads.

- Keep in mind that deer generally travel in groups - if you see one, there is a strong possibility others are nearby.

- Do not rely on car-mounted deer whistles. They don't work.

- If a deer collision seems inevitable, attempting to swerve out of the way could cause you to lose control of your car or place you in the path of an oncoming car. It's safest to hit the deer.

Source: State Farm Insurance and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

Edited by CAM502

- If a deer collision seems inevitable, attempting to swerve out of the way could cause you to lose control of your car or place you in the path of an oncoming car. It's safest to hit the deer.

Very true. I am pretty sure that hitting a deer is considered to be one of those "acts of God", but as soon as you swerve, and hit a tree, or anything else, you now performed an act forcing you to lose control, and I am not sure if that is considered "no fault" or not.

Back in 2000, my father hit 2 deer in a 3 month span. I was in the car when the second one happened. Oh so much fun.

While it really sucks....I must say hitting the deer and driving through the impact is the way to go!