Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Photo Luminescent Emergency Pathway Strips

8 posts in this topic

At the commercial building that I work in they recently started installing these photo luminescent pathway strips in the stairwells. They charge up with regular light and then aluminates if there is a power outage. According to the article it is a law in NYC that all high rises have them installed.

I was wondering how effective they are helping people find their way out if the stairwell was filled with smoke? Below is a picture and a link to the article I found on these things.

ET1206_Fig1.jpg

http://www.fpemag.com/archives/enewsletter.asp?i=16

Found a good article about these things: Building Operating Management . It discusses some studies showing that they do work as designed. I thought the following from the link was interesting (emphasis added):

While the materials are low or no maintenance, several issues must be considered for systems to function properly. To be effective, the material must be continually illuminated at a level sufficient to fully charge the pigments. Light levels must be measured prior to installation to ensure that they meet the requirements of the component manufacturer. It is also important to consider what happens if the lights are automatically switched off after hours. Facility executives should determine how long it takes pigments to charge fully when lights are turned on the next day and should consider what will happen if an emergency occurs during that time.

Anything that helps, even if it's a little bit, is worth putting in in my opinion. This looks like a relatively simple idea, I'm not sure how it would perform in smoke but it definetly couldn't hurt.

I think these would help great in a power outage, and like you said, they couldn't hurt if there is smoke. It might just be a little help in the smoke, but it might just be enough.

Ok everyone..

These are not for Fires they are for power outages. FDNY/NYC has been aware for sometime that in the event of a power outage the current battery back up lights only last a short time. Many don't even work because of age and lack of maintenance. So this was something that could be done to address a problem.

As far as Fire. In a Hi-Rise Office Building we designate a "Evacuation Stairs" and "Attack Stairs". We will have the FSD direct everyone to use the "Evacuation Stairs" and we make sure the doors to the fire area are close preventing smoke from entering the stairs. Talk to anyone in the WTC 93' who had to walk down smoke filled stairs, you don't want to do it. The biggest thing we can't stress enough is not to enter a stair unless you have to. Many will have the doors LOCKED and you can get trapped in the stairwell.

I saw a vendor do a presentation as well as a demonstration. From what I saw in the demo the markings are very bright! They are more for power outages than for smoke, the idea being that they show where to put your feet when going down the stairs. The NYC Building code basically says that all high rise buildings need to be retrofitted with these markings and they have to be on the leading edge of the stairs as well as on the handrail. (I forget what code section that is in though, I'll try to remember it)

As for smoke, the ones on the stairs are not designed specifically for that, however, you might start to see more and more photoluminescent exit signs around knee level on the doors. These are intended for smoke and would be easier to see if you have to crawl on the ground.

It was interesting to see how much stuff can have the photoluminescent material on them, anywhere from bathroom tiles to paint. Something that I saw which would help the fire service is valve handles on the standpipes, standpipe covers, and the standpipes themselves were completely covered with the photoluminecent material, and glowed very bright with no light. They seem that they would be very beneficial, and it would be much easier to see where to connect your hose lines. I think you will start to see more and more material have the photluminescent material on it.

Edited by bibbles10504

How long do they stay in "glow" for after absorbing normal light hours?

How long do they stay in "glow" for after absorbing normal light hours?

From what I remember it depends, on the kind you get. There is more expensive stuff which lasts for longer than the cheaper kind.

The glow intensity changes with the amount of time that has passed. It is going to glow most intense shortly after the lights go off for about 90 minutes, but will keep glowing (not so intense though) I believe for up to 5 hours, for the more expensive material.

Edited by bibbles10504