Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DG795

Hot Bottle Changes

4 posts in this topic

Do any Fire Depts/ FASTeams have SOP's/SOG's for hot bottle changes, or other means of alternate air supply for downed firefighters? Any tips or tricks? To anyone who may have performed the procedure outside of training, what were some of the concerns or problems you ran into?

i love the art of the hot bottle change, but thats goin to be done away with soon, in Hartsdale 2 of our new air packs have those quick connectors so a air bottle can be switch if a fire fighter is down or out of air in a matter of seconds...

does any one else have these, or seen these bottles?

I don't know about SOG/SOP's but I feel this procedure should be common knowledge for every firefighter. Even with the new buddy-breath systems..you should always have a backup.

Although there is no set SOP/SOG on hot bottle changes, Mohegan's FAS Team uses the SCOTT RIT PAK, which cuts down the time of swapping bottles since the bottle is already hooked up to a mask and regulator in the RIT PAK bag. Depending on the condition of the FF, the regulator can be swapped out or the entire facepiece can be removed and replaced with the mask in the RIT PAK. Once this is completed, the FF will be breathing air from the RIT PAK bottle.