Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Pump Intake Valves

4 posts in this topic

For the last 19 years we have been using Angus Gate Valves with a 25 degree elbow, pressure relief valve and 5" storz as our primary intake valves.

We are working on our next engine and were advised that the above unit has been or is about to be disconntinued.

Our options include:

Ball Intake Relief Valves

TFT

Kochek

Akron

Piston Intake Relief Valves

Elkhart

Snap tite

Automatic Pre Con Valve

Hydra Shield

Or Waterous makes valves that go behind the pump panel

We would like to get feed back (good and bad)

We do not like the relief valve on the bottom (can't be field adjusted as needed)

Hydra Shields can be adjusted, but we have little experience with the auto valve.

Thanks for the feedback.

Barry:

I've also mainly used the Angus and the Akron valves.

The Akron from my experience works well, occassionally like everything needs some PM to ensure that it operates smoothly. Recentlly we've used the Akron Black Max piston intake valve and have had no issues with it whatsoever and it operates smoothly.

I have seen and used the TFT Ball intake valve when conducting pump ops courses and I found it to be extremely smooth in operation and one plus that I liked was it is fairly compact. Compared to some of the other valves out there it doesn't stick out from the side of the apparatus limiting any chances of side swiping something with the valve.

I know that you don't like the relief valves to be on the bottom, but from what I've seen that seems to be the industry standard. Which from looking into some of the ones you mentioned a little more in detail from the manufacturers website the TFT looks like it still is fairly accessible. I can't comment too much more of the relief valve matter, we do not and really haven't had the need to adjust them in the field on the intake valves. The Elkhart valve while having a down facing relief valve, has its typical round dump port that dumps the water straight down to the ground instead of angling out like many of the others. This allows the traditional radiator hose to be easily clamped to it and run through the running board close to the ground to control the water and make it easier for the operator to adjust the relief valve if needed.

One feature that I do prefer in any intake valve is that it can swivel.

Don't know if that helped or not, I have to admit much of my pump ops knowledge was learned a few years ago from Doug. Perhaps you can get the local vendors to bring each of the manufacturers in for you guys to try each out.

We'll we have a Kocheck intake 5" valve and actually just used it today. I like it since it si small and compact, It was easy to open up with water pressure on it.

as per the discharge not being on the bottom then the TFT is perfect I saw a New Roc pic with the discharge (pres relief) and the handle facing down. With the crank and discharge directions able to be change and the multi position of the inlet you can position the unit basically on it's side. Crank on the right with handle facing up or down and pres. discharge on the right facing down. the pres relief is relitively round and should be able to have the discharge hose on it like the one I saw in the N.R. picture.