Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

NYPD Academy

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone now if NYPD is starting another class. I know the just graduated a class around Christmas but I also heard rumor of a new class starting maybe as soon as next week.

I am not sure - I have a family memebr who instructs there, and he did not make any mention of it over the holidays. Next time I run into him, I'll ask.

If you're on the list - best of luck to you.

Next week is correct. Some have already received calls. If the hiring is Monday morning, recruits will receive calls all the way up till the morning of the hiring. One of my recruits got a call at 3 am, while at his parents house in Dutchess...

Next week is correct. Some have already received calls. If the hiring is Monday morning, recruits will receive calls all the way up till the morning of the hiring. One of my recruits got a call at 3 am, while at his parents house in Dutchess...

You gotta love that kind of notice!!! :lol:

Do they have to have their uniforms on day one or do they at least get that as a gimme?

The first week (or two) after being hired is done is business attire (Shirt, tie, jacket, shoes). The first week is spent at Brooklyn College ( I think, when I was hired 10 years ago it was Queens College) filling out paperwork, and learning what is expected of you. During the first week at the Academy you have to get a money order for around $500 to $600 for uniforms. At some point you take a field trip to 1 Police Plaza fior your recuit bag, belt & equipment, and then to Meyers Uniform in Brooklyn to get uniform pants, recruit shirts (grays), and jacket. I did hear that this class may not have to pay upfront for the uniforms, but instead it will be deducted from paychecks after they graduate.

As far as notification of being hired, yes they give almost no notice. I found out on a Friday at 12:30 pm, that I was to report at 7am on Monday.

Edited by grumpyff