Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

End of era in Norwalk, CT

10 posts in this topic

(01/11/08) NORWALK - It is the end of an era at the Norwalk Fire Department.

For the first time in 87 years, a member of the Bogdany family is not on the roll call. Jim Bogdany Jr. recently retired, making him the last member of the family to retire out of the department. However, the Bogdany legacy dates back to 1920 with Jim Jr.’s grandfather, Frank Bogdany.

Frank Bogdany started as a volunteer and was with the first paid department in 1920. Jim Jr.’s father, Jim Sr., was also a firefighter in the department. Jim Sr. retired as a captain in 1978 after 26 years on the job.

Jim Jr. served the department for 28 years before his retirement. He and his wife do not have children, so the direct family line will end with Jim Jr. However, he says he has some cousins and uncles in local departments.

News 12 CT

I personally worked with Bogy alot of times over the last 10 years, and he will be missed by all. He is one of the best

Edited by dmccabe

Congratulations to a heck of a guy and a great firefighter on his retirement. I second dmccabe...I also worked with JimBog as we called him and he was fun to have around, always in a good mood and really knowledgeable about the business.

Heres to a long and healthy retirement...use that pension fund for a LONG LONG time!

Joe C.

First red engines and now this...what ever happened to tradition? Next you'll abandon the trolley schedule as a basis for the shift change.

I wanted to take the time to say have a safe, happy, and healthy retirement to Jim. Working with him on the EMS end of his job, He was one hell of a nice guy and will be missed !!!

Christopher Sanders

Norwalk Paramedic

Ridgefield Fire Local 1739

First red engines and now this...what ever happened to tradition? Next you'll abandon the trolley schedule as a basis for the shift change.

One more tradition that is leaving with Jim. Red Suspenders, Jim always wore them with his pants during the day. The only person that was left in the department that did.

GOOD LUCK

Jim

Congradulations and best wishes on your retirement.

Mike. NCFD

Alan...

How keen of you to recognize the 1725 shift change for night tours in the NFD. (For those who don't know what BFD182 is speaking of, the NFD changes night tours at 1725 because back when the trollies were running, the 17:30 trolley stop was near the old Central Firehouse in South Norwalk and leaving work at 17:25 allowed the men 5 minutes to catch the trolley.) I like to think of the black gear, leather helmets and red rigs as a RETURN to tradition. One of my favorite parts of my department is the rich firefighting tradition going back to horse drawn apparatus and a sincere concern for the brothers that have gone before us or simply are enjoying a healthy retirement, like Jimmy Bogdany Jr as well as Jim Sr. With all the complaining we, as firefighters, do, it is neat once in a while to look at the good things.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

JVC

Only booger would be aware of that bit of history...BUB

I know...so true!