Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

$100,000. of Gear & Equipment Stolen from Oregon FH

10 posts in this topic

First, I want to express my disgust at anyone who would walk into a FH and steal equipment; I hope these guys are caught ASAP.

However, I'm a bit confused, probably due to personal ignorance. How come this FH was not staffed by anyone during a 24-hr period? Does this situation occur in rural Volunteer Depts.? Could this happen in our Region?

Article from "Seattle Times" follows :

Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 12:01 P.M. Pacific

Thieves steal $100,000 worth of firefighting equipment

The Associated Press

MARCOLA, Ore. — The theft of about $100,000 worth of firefighting equipment over the weekend left one of the four Mohawk Valley Rural Fire District stations temporarily unable to respond to emergencies, officials said.

"We were hit hard," said district training officer Gregory Jack said.

Three fire and rescue vehicles at Substation No. 2 on Old Mohawk Road had been stripped of equipment, radios and supplies.

"We walked in. All the doors were open in the apparatus. They were empty," Jack said. "We definitely won't be in full service with them for a while."

The Lane County sheriff's office got a phone tip about 2 p.m. Saturday, Jack said. The caller described a man in his 30s loading a generator into a 1980s Honda Civic hatchback that was faded red with black bumpers. The caller, a local resident, attempted to follow the Honda, but could not keep up.

Jack said he discovered the extent of the theft about 7:40 p.m. after he and a volunteer arrived and found equipment stacked outside the building, apparently to be hauled away on a return trip.

"It sounds like it had been going on for over 24 hours," Jack said.

Thieves pried open a side door and took not only generators and tools but also highly specialized equipment heart defibrillators, oxygen kits, orange-and-white medic boxes full of bandages and the protective suits worn by firefighters.

Insurance will replace the gear, but Jack said it will take time to document the loss and re-equip the station.

Copyright The Seattle Times

bunch of crap if you ask me. what was this guys gonna do with a defribulator? you cant sell it cause everyone is gonna be looking for it. i think that people can be real scum sometimes. who steals from the fire department? and why not man the station with one guys so it is safe and to watch the rigs. just said man

A large amount... Probably the majority of fire stations in the USA are not manned unless there is a call, drill or meeting going on. It's the nature of the volunteer fire service. The building, just like a car dealership, garage, warehouse, etc isn't manned unless there is actually work being done. This is especially true of volunteer services that do not provide ems. A trend has begun of staffing a medic or EMT in a station at night to ensure a local ems response, however departments that only provide fire-rescue services on a volunteer basis usually do not have anyone in the building.... Including most of our own county.

Thank you for the reply Captain. I learn something new every day. I suppose the best protection is some type of Central Alarm system with instant response from Police or State Trooper.

Appreciate the explanation,

Henri Gregorio

FF, PMVFC

i cant beleive anyone would steal from a fh, thats one of the lowest things ive ever heard.....

Well another thought would be Terrorists when Sept.11 th we all got notices to keep FH locked PD to keep up Patrols at Stations . It wasnt that long ago. Some of that Equipment I could not see being good for them to use but other stuff would be good for them. Its just a thought they told us keep our eyes on everything we used at incidents and report missing equipment

In related news: thieves broke into a building in White Plains and stole some equipment that routes 911 calls in Westchester. Several towns' PSAPs were down as a result. I'll post more if nobody else has.

I agree, theft from a firehouse is a low thing to do.

But, most theft occurs indoors. I don't think there is a soul on this board who hasn't heard of or seen such pathetic actions in their own FD or VAC.

I agree, theft from a firehouse is a low thing to do.

But, most theft occurs indoors.  I don't think there is a soul on this board who hasn't heard of or seen such pathetic actions in their own FD or VAC.

Very true, 585, but most stuff stolen inhouse is NOT equipment or aparttus, it's more apt to be household supplies, tables or chairs, although we did have scanners and tv sets disappear, but that was many years ago. For a while not too long ago, we had a problem witrh K12 saws disappearing from station 2. Damndest thing! seemed like as fast as they were replaced, they'd grow feet and run away. People who steal firefighting and/or rescue&ems equipment should spend life in the big house with no hope for parole!

It's a sad day for somebody when the steal equipment from a firehouse! ENOUGH SAID