Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danger

Hughsonville Firehouse Expansion Vote

8 posts in this topic

I heard through the grapevine that the bond referendum was defeated as well. It didn't really come as a surprise; a $6.8M renovation is quite expensive. I saw the price in the Journal last week and my jaw hit the ground. I've been in the Hughsonville firehouse and they definitely need an upgrade, but looking at my district building a new building and demolishing the old one for $4.9M, I'd think that HFD can find some more affordable options. Hopefully they can restructure the request and get a shovel into the ground soon.

I am not suprised at all, 6.8 million dollars for a new firehouse is crazy. The just spent 600k on a new rescue. This district is a small district and it would have been a big tax increase for homeowners. The poughkeepsie journal reports that it would have cost taxpayers an additional $165 per year for a home valued at 250k and an additional $231 for a home valued at 350k. If the building needs repairs that is understandable however this cost just seems excessive.

It was not a surprise that the bond was voted down. My question is do they really need that much of a firehouse. There are multiple firehouses in a very small area right around HFD. Maybe we need to look at how we provide fire service in Dutchess County. Stop wasting our hard earned tax dollars on buildings and apparatus and start spending the money on what we really need when and emergency occurs.... people!!!

Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

x129K likes this

I am not suprised at all, 6.8 million dollars for a new firehouse is crazy. The just spent 600k on a new rescue. This district is a small district and it would have been a big tax increase for homeowners. The poughkeepsie journal reports that it would have cost taxpayers an additional $165 per year for a home valued at 250k and an additional $231 for a home valued at 350k. If the building needs repairs that is understandable however this cost just seems excessive.

I agree, the new rescue costing near 700,000 WOW that is a huge price tag, and they LEASED it. 6.8 million is crazy for a new firehouse let alone a renovation. North Highlands is building a very nice and affordable fire house that doesn't cost near that much money. Hopefully Hughsonvile can cut down the price tag and get a new firehouse.

Edited by 67-13

HFD is very small. Maybe it's time to cut the bull and combine services with other departments in the area! How many rescue trucks can you have in a 5 mile radius anyway? I know, I know.....no one wants to give up power.....Too many chiefs,not enough indians!!! Let's think about why we are really here in the first place.

Maybe it's time to cut the bull and combine services with other departments in the area! How many rescue trucks can you have in a 5 mile radius anyway? I know, I know.....no one wants to give up power.....Too many chiefs,not enough indians!!! Let's think about why we are really here in the first place.

Good luck with that. :blink: