Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MPACE2-299

Sav-a-Jake Rescue Tool

6 posts in this topic

While in Alantic City at the FDIC east conference I came across a cool item called the "Savajake". I brought it just to have the newest toy in my department. Not really caring if it was at all useful. After using it at a few drills and just fooling around at my station, I have found it to be very vesitle and easy to use. Our chief even purchased a few for other members in my department. They have a web site with all diffrent uses. http://www.savajake.com/ I was just wondering if any one else has it or know of any other uses.

Judging from the pictures, it doesn't look like much more than a couple of straps or webbing and some 'beaners.

Is this something that someone slapped together and marketed it just for fire use? If so, the cost is probably significantly higher than buying all the pieces separately.

Nothing I can't already do with the webbing and beaners I already carry. Not to mention converting the SCBA into a "last-resort" harness. If one of my brothers or sisters go down, the last thing I would do is fuss around with some gadget.

I thought the same thing about how simple it looked (just a few 'biners and webbing). But after we started training with it we found it was very convenient to have in a folded up package that fit in our pockets. And the handle part lets you do more with it. It's well made too. It saved time since we didn't have to fumble around with knots in zero visibility (we trained with it in a smoke tower). We carried a heavy guy (250 lbs) in a stairwell with it and it helped get him up off the steps. THey have a good website that helps with learning all the rescue techniques. As with anything, you gotta train with it. And I think they cost around $43? Just thought you'd want to know.

As with anything, you gotta train with it.  And I think they cost around $43? 

As with anything, training is the key.

As for as the $43 bucks, you could likely by the pieces separately for less money and it will do the same job.

Just another example of someone making a buck.

The one that gets me is those who spends anywhere from 7 to 10 bucks for a "wack pack". The wack pack includes 2 door chocks, a "heavy duty" rubber strap and a Garrity flashlight.

You can get the same exact thing for $2.00 by buying the light at Wal-mart ($2.00). Going to your local tire store for a scrap inner tube (free) and go to a local construction site for a scrap 2x4 (free).

Yeah I know what you mean about the pack. Some things aren't worth the money. But I liked the convenience that this was put together and it really has some good heavy stitching. Guess you gotta see it to see what I mean. Im careful about what I spend my bucks on, and I feel this was a good buy. Not for everyone, but it works for some of us. I looked at that slinglink thing and passed on that. never understood colors in the dark, no matter how good the flashlight is. hmmm..... :-k :D