Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

2 Lines Stretched - 1 in operation

7 posts in this topic

This may sound like a dumb question, but i was wondering about it. When an IC says "We have 2 Lines Stretched with one in use", I know one is fully charged and in use, but what about the other line, is this line stretched not charged, or is this line charged?

It's more of a matter of opinion. Kind of like "fire is doubtful." But everyone has to sound cool on the air.

Technically speaking, if you have one line stretched and operating, you should (as a rule of thumb) have a 2nd stretched, as a means of egress. Of course, with rubbish, brush and vehicle fires, one line usually does the job, and pulling a second may take more time then its worth.

This is a FDNY thing.

One line going to the fire in use.

The second one could almost be at any location.

Front door standing by, Exposure, Fire Floor, Floor above, Etc. Could be charged or not.

You mean you don't pull a back up on car fires...585 :cry:

Good explanations.... If its announced that its stretched, it usually is charged.

I'm partly ribbing you. But most of my experiences within depts. I have been a member of or worked for have a second line on the ground.

DFFD227, this was actually a good question, and remember, the only "dumb" question is one that doesn't get asked! As some of the guys have said, every Dept. is different. For a structure fire, i don't care how small the fire may be, you better have a 2nd line ready to go! As tbendick stated, that 2nd line may be used for anything, but generally at a structure fire you have at least one line stretched as back-up. And yes, if the line is stretched, it should be charged & manned (hence the reason for having a back-up line). On the topic of car fires, again, this depends on different issues. If 1 line is in operation for suppression, it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd as back-up, just in case something goes wrong. If there is any exposure threat, a 2nd line should be stretched for protection, without a doubt. As Remember585 stated, this depends on many things. If manpower is an issue, than stretching a 2nd line may be more of a pain and a waste of manpower & time.