Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

LODD_Yuma AZ Region US Border Patrol Agent

4 posts in this topic

Border agent killed by drug smuggling driver, officials say

(CNN) -- A U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agent was killed Saturday when he was struck by a car driven by a suspected narcotics smuggler, officials said.

Luis Aguilar, 32, who was assigned to the Yuma, Arizona, border patrol station, died Saturday, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Commissioner W. Ralph Basham said in a statement.

"Agent Aguilar's death serves as another stark reminder of the risks our front-line agents and officers face each day," Basham said.

Aguilar was trying to place spike strips in the path of two vehicles believed to have illegally entered the country from Mexico when one of the vehicles hit him, agent Michael Bernacke, a spokesman for the agency's Yuma sector, told The Associated Press.

Both vehicles drove back across the border into Mexico, the AP said.

The fatal incident occurred in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area near Andrade, California, Basham said. Andrade is just over the California state line from Arizona.

The area is popular with off-road vehicle enthusiasts but also is frequently used by smugglers carrying people or drugs, the AP said.

Aguilar is survived by his wife and two children, along with his brother, who is also a border patrol agent, a Homeland Security Department statement said.

"I am outraged by this tragic loss," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Saturday. "I have spoken to the Mexican ambassador, who gives me both his condolences and deep assurance that their government will be resolute in tracking down the perpetrators and bringing them to swift justice."

Federal, state and local authorities are working with Mexican police and military authorities to apprehend the suspected killers, he said.

CNN.com-Border Patrol Agent Killed

Thoughts, prayers to Agent Aguilar's family, friends as well as the US Bordar Patrol. May he rest in Peace and may God hold him in the Hollow of His Hand.

I was a Border Patrol Agent for 3 years in New Mexico. Nobody can imagine the "outlaw west" way of life it is out there. This is by far one of the toughest jobs in Law Enforcement. My heart and sympathy go out to the family of the Agent. Being a Border Patrol Agent is a god-for-saken job that is hated by many and loved by few. God bless our brothers and sisters on the "Front line".

God Speed to the family, friends, and fellow workers; and swift justice to the perps involved!