Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

Stupid Teenagers Can't Find States On Maps

17 posts in this topic

Alright, today in History we were talking about the treaty of Greenville that gave Spanish territory that is now the states of Mississippi and Alabama. Using a map to find them, a "friend" couldn't find them and had to be told by my teacher where they were. What the Hell is wrong with teenagers!?!?! Some people can't use a map to find 2 states?! I know all of the states, and I learned them all back in 4th grade, so that was awhile ago for me to remember all of them.

I HATE TEENAGE STUPIDITY.

end rant

Mike

Its just not teenagers, its adults too who are stupid. A British TV show back in September did a skit I guess you can say since it was a comedy show. Where they went into the streets of England looking for Americans asking them when 9/11 happened. Many got the year wrong, and many even got the date wrong even being asked when 9/11 happened.

So go figure

at the age of 17 my brothers' gf though NJ was a county within NY!! :lol:

what a bimbo!

what a bimbo!

NOW THAT'S FUNNY! :lol:

Mike

i once asked my best friend's sister, 17 at the time, "where is antarctica?"

she replied, "isn't it that long thing between new york and connecticut?"

what a bimbo!

Oh boy..... your kidding me right?!?!? :lol::blink:

what a bimbo!

That is very funny LOL. :lol::rolleyes::lol:

The Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819, sometimes called the Florida Purchase Treaty, is what you're referring to. Spanish Florida consisted of both the former British East Florida (basically modern day boundaries of the state of Florida) and West Florida, which was the territory of modern day Mississippi and Alabama that was the extension of the Florida Panhandle westward to Louisiana. After the Louisiana Purchase, where France sold Louisiana and about 828,000 acres west of the Mississippi River, Spain was really in a weak position and it was believed that they'd lose the Florida territory anyway.

The Treaty of Greenville is from 1795 wherein a coalition of Indian/Native American tribes, having lost the Battle of Fallen Timbers to General "Mad" Anthony Wayne ceded large parts of Ohio, Fort Detroit and Chicago

and he I am thinking Greenville was a Fire District in the Town of Greenbugh. where was I for 30 years?? ;)

I've got a better one for you guys. We have people who work either as EMTs or Medics that either can't read or refuse to use the map book. As a dispatcher, I am constently asked for maps pages or asked for directions, even from Medics that I know have responded to that location. Where has the Professionalism gone??

Oh boy..... your kidding me right?!?!? :lol::blink:

nope 100% truth! she said another stupid this that day, while we were going to the six flags in NJ, but i can't remember it!! it was equally as stupid, if i remember i'll post it

The Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819, sometimes called the Florida Purchase Treaty, is what you're referring to. Spanish Florida consisted of both the former British East Florida (basically modern day boundaries of the state of Florida) and West Florida, which was the territory of modern day Mississippi and Alabama that was the extension of the Florida Panhandle westward to Louisiana. After the Louisiana Purchase, where France sold Louisiana and about 828,000 acres west of the Mississippi River, Spain was really in a weak position and it was believed that they'd lose the Florida territory anyway.

The Treaty of Greenville is from 1795 wherein a coalition of Indian/Native American tribes, having lost the Battle of Fallen Timbers to General "Mad" Anthony Wayne ceded large parts of Ohio, Fort Detroit and Chicago

Guidance, I believe it was after the Neutrality Proclamation of 1793, and Spain gave the DISPUTED territory to us so we wouldn't mess around in Europe.

However, since this was a rant on peoples' stupidity, let's keep on topic about stupid stuff people have said.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

The Proclamation of Neutrality was issued by George Washington in 1793 (presaging his comments in his Farewell address wherein he warned against "permanent alliances" with other nations) stating that the United States would remain neutral (i.e., not take sides) during the wars between France and Great Britain that began with the French Revolution. Any disputation of the territory of West Florida was between Spain and France, and would have concerned the definition of the territory included in the Louisiana Purchase. Spain would have liked the definition of "Louisiana" to include simply the City of New Orleans, but it included vast territories west of the Mississippi.

I have Bachelor and Master's degrees in history from Columbia University....

Edited by Guidance1

The Proclamation of Neutrality was issued by George Washington in 1793 (presaging his comments in his Farewell address wherein he warned against "permanent alliances" with other nations) stating that the United States would remain neutral (i.e., not take sides) during the wars between France and Great Britain that began with the French Revolution.

I have Bachelor and Master's degrees in history from Columbia University....

And I have nothing. You win in this History battle, but try talking that stuff to my history teacher! ;)

Mike

History textbooks are notoriously BAD, horrible, inaccurate, written in a way to confuse you. PM me with questions. I'd be happy to help you out.

History textbooks are notoriously BAD, horrible, inaccurate, written in a way to confuse you. PM me with questions. I'd be happy to help you out.

Funny, my history teacher says the same thing! :lol:

He claims media bias, and I for one believe it!

Mikw

Media bias? Textbooks are written by committees (most of the names are listed in the front pages of any text) so they tend to be really watered down. Also, market pressures have a lot to do with publishers' and manufacturers' decisions. Texas and California wield incredible power in the area of textbooks--not just content but even how much they weigh (California regulations, again by committee with a public comment period...so anyone can put in their two cents worth, specify that a high school textbook cannot weigh more than 5 pounds [3 pounds for K-4]). With all of the pictures and graphics and you must talk about this and you must mention that and how many pictures of X constituency are in the book, well it's amazing there is anything in them at all. There is even a group called the National Association of State Textbook Administrators (which started in the 1930s as a way to ensure that books were manufactured to certain quality standards). And no, I don't have anything to do with textbook writing or anything like that.

How many people who attend Fire Academy or other training classes think that your training manuals are not what they should be? All for the same reasons--too many cooks.