Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Metro-North Onboard Tickets Go Wireless

7 posts in this topic

This is cool! Hopefully, they'll start accepting the Metrocard onboard at some point as well!

Metro-North hand-held ticket machines will let riders use credit cards

Nicole Neroulias • The Journal News • January 30, 2008

Buying at ticket onboard a train is about to get easier, as Metro-North Railroad phases in handheld ticket machines this spring.

Using wireless, real-time credit authorization, conductors will be able to accept credit and debit cards as well as cash, Metro-North officials announced this week.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS02/801300343

Will there be the same penalty if you buy the ticket on the train vs. buying the ticket at the Station?

Will there be the same penalty if you buy the ticket on the train vs. buying the ticket at the Station?

Don't see why there wouldn't be the penalty. You are still buying your ticket on the train. Now I just wish they would put ticket machines on both sides of the tracks, at my local station. Rather than two machines on the new york bound side.

I talked to a conductor this morning on my train about the new on board ticket system. Yes the five dollar penalty for tickets purchased on the train will continue. The machines will debut between April and August, and the credit card feature will not be active at that time. He was unsure when the ability to use credit cards will be turned on. The feeling over retaining the penalty is that once the credit system goes active, people will be less likely to complain about the surcharge since it goes right to their credit card, and not 'out of their pocket'.

Edited by grumpyff

I talked to a conductor this morning on my train about the new on board ticket system. Yes the five dollar penalty for tickets purchased on the train will continue. The machines will debut between April and August, and the credit card feature will not be active at that time. He was unsure when the ability to use credit cards will be turned on. The feeling over retaining the penalty is that once the credit system goes active, people will be less likely to complain about the surcharge since it goes right to their credit card, and not 'out of their pocket'.

Thanks grumpy

Its about time really. I'm surprised it took this long for them to replace the "antiquated" but quaint use of the hole punchers. I wonder what will happen to the actual hole punchers that they use now? Guess we'll see them at next years Open House at Croton Harmon!

AFAIK, the hole punchers will remain in service, the only thing to change is the onboard ticket. No more tickets with several parts. I would imagine the tickets will be similar to the ones coming out the TVMs.