Special Types:

-Foam Can

-Wet Chem

-Water Mist

-Purple K

-Halotron

-Halon

-Class D

Just curious, What does your department carry and why?

** ALS, you are limited to a ONE paragraph answer! haha =D>

On the engines as well as the mini attack we have a dry chem, water can (just water), a Foam can (water and foam concentrate), and a class D. On the tower ladder we have a water can on the outside of the rig on both the passenger and drivers side as well as a water can in the bucket. On the rescue we have (I believe a water can as well as a dry chem. And in each of the chiefs cars we have water can and a dry chem. :blahblah:

If you follow NFPA standards, which I believe NFPA 1901 covers extinguishers on class A pumpers you have to have 1 for Class A, and 2 capable of Class B,C.

Also lets not forget that the NFPA added Class K type fires and a Class K extinguisher to the classification of fire and extinguishing agents.

what would the class k fire be and what is the extinguishing agent in the extinguisher?

NFPA 1901 requires the following on Pumpers, Aerials, Tankers, Initial Attack Vehicles and Service Vehicles:

(1) 2 1/2 gallon (or larger) water extinguisher- an "Indian Can" meets this requirement, as well. - and -

(1) Dry Chemical extinguisher with a minimum rating of 80-B:C, so this extinguisher can be an ABC, BC, or PKP.

As ALS stated the Class "K" stands for Kitchen. It is now required that ALL commercial kitchens have one of these portable extinguishers in them to supplement the WET CHEMICAL fire extinguishing system for the range, hood and duct.

The problem that has occurred over the last several years is that more us concerned weight watchers have shifted away from foods cooked in the traditional "animal fat" and gone to corn and canola oils. These oils require a higher heating temperature and the equipment holds these higher temps longer. The old "ANSUL" dry chemical systems and the normal BC extinguishers CANNOT extinguish these fires- thus comes the new "K" Class fire and extinguisher.

Different manufacturers may call the contents different names but essentially it's Aqueous Potassium Carbonate or APC, better described as "liquid PKP". This "wet chemical" was designed by Range Guard over 25 years ago and was and still is exclusively used by the US Navy onboard ships in the Galley's (kitchen's for you land lubbers).

Look for a County Course coming in 2005 relating to Commercial Kitchen Fires and extinguishing systems and the "K" class extinguishers.

As stated above- to all you fire inspectors out there, if you didn't know already-- NO more Dry Chemical Hood Systems or Dry Chemical Portable Extinguishers in those Kitchens!!

I know it's alot of material- but I think I answered your questions- then some!!

As for Rob's question in Somers, we carry the following-

Engines & Utility 5 -

1- 2 1/2 gallon Can

1- 20# ABC

1- 30# Metl-X

Ladder, Tanker & Chief's Cars-

1- 2 1/2 gallon Can

1- 20# ABC

MA's-

1- 10# ABC

5- 5 gallon Indian Cans

Ambulances-

1- 5# ABC

Not 100% sure about all of our rigs, but I do know the following.

Engine 119 has a Water Can, 20 Lb. Dry-chem and a Class D extinguisher. We also have four of those "Aqua-Jac" water vests.

Tanker 10 (still not back) has a 5 lb. dry-chem and two "Aqua-Jac" water vests.

Pretty sure E118 & E120 have the same 3 as E119. Not too sure what TL44 & R18 carry.

Rescue :

2 1/2 gal Water Can

" " Foam Can

20 Lb ABC Dry Powder

and one Class D Exting.

Engines:

20 lb ABC Dry Powder

10 lb Class C Co2

Ladder:

20lb ABC

20lb Co2 yes Twenty pound its huge Need a hand truck to move it.

just to add to cuttys post, tower ladder 57 also has 2 dry chem cans and rescue 10 does have a water can and a dry chem. Indian tanks are on MA-9, not filled

On an extinguisher side note... Not sure if anyone has ever tried this before, but E-245 carries "chimney bombs" which I learned about in college in Gettysburg, PA where chimney fires were a regular occurance. I started putting them on our rigs a few years ago.... Take sandwich size to 1 gallon cheep storage bags (assorted AND not of good quality... You basicially want them to be barely held together like supermarket vegetable bags ) and fill them with dry chem from a 5 gallon bucket that is used to replenish carbon dioxide charged extinguishers. Then make a metal plate that will cover most chimneys. Finally carry two pieces of plywood that can be duct taped over a fireplace opening to create a seal. Drop one or two of the bags into the top of the chimney and cover with the metal plate. The bags melt as they approach the fire and spread the dry chem everywhere inside the chimney right where you need it. The boards covering the fire place and the chimney plate stop the flow of air and the fire is suffocated. This works 100% better than garbage chimfex which are useless. This works almost all the time and does a lot less damage to the house.

On an extinguisher side note... Not sure if anyone has ever tried this before, but E-245 carries "chimney bombs" which I learned about in college in Gettysburg, PA where chimney fires were a regular occurance.  I started putting them on our rigs a few years ago.... Take sandwich size to 1 gallon cheep storage bags (assorted AND not of good quality... You basicially want them to be barely held together like supermarket vegetable bags ) and fill them with dry chem from a 5 gallon bucket that is used to replenish carbon dioxide charged extinguishers.  Then make a metal plate that will cover most chimneys.  Finally carry two pieces of plywood that can be duct taped over a fireplace opening to create a seal.  Drop one or two of the bags into the top of the chimney and cover with the metal plate.  The bags melt as they approach the fire and spread the dry chem everywhere inside the chimney right where you need it.  The boards covering the fire place and the chimney plate stop the flow of air and the fire is suffocated.  This works 100% better than garbage chimfex which are useless.  This works almost all the time and does a lot less damage to the house.

We've been using these for at least a couple years and I can tell you they DO work well. We use Glad Zip-Lock bags. They are a bit sturdier for transport but the heat of a chimney fire melts them just as fast.

over here at least on our camp we carry the following

engine (1)water can

(1)class a foam can

(2) purple K 15 lb

(1) 25 lb CO2

tanker pumper

same compliment