Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbvfd596

Zip Up boots v. Slip on

10 posts in this topic

I know we have discussed about how much everyone love's the leather boots instead of rubber boots. I have worn both, and like the leathers better. I'm looking into buying a new pair now and am probably going to get a pair of Warrington 5006's. However I wasn't sure if anyone has operated with the 10 inch zip up structural boots. I'm assuming they are just as comfortable, if not even more than the slip-ons. Would it be worth it to buy the zip-up's instead?

I know we have discussed about how much everyone love's the leather boots instead of rubber boots. I have worn both, and like the leathers better. I'm looking into buying a new pair now and am probably going to get a pair of Warrington 5006's. However I wasn't sure if anyone has operated with the 10 inch zip up structural boots. I'm assuming they are just as comfortable, if not even more than the slip-ons. Would it be worth it to buy the zip-up's instead?

I had a pair of the Warrington zip ups and they were a total hassle to get on in a hurry. I use them for teaching when getting the gear on fast is less of an issue. I am in the market for a new pair too and I am looking at the new Globe structural boots with the nifty colors. I have heard nothing but good things about them from actual users.

We just bought three pairs of the new Globe boots, I have heard from the guys that got them that they are comfortable. I only heard one complaint and that was from another department. Apparently there is not much of a heel, so when climbing a ladder there is a very small lip and your foot can slip forward on the rung. I haven't worn them myself, so I can't give you anything firsthand, but almost everything I hear is positive.

I've also worn zip ups and other then the issue of taking a little longer to get your pants on I found them to be a bit more comfortable being they conform to your ankle and foot a little better. Even with bunkers with the zippers in the legs to allow easier donning, it still took a few more seconds to get them on. Anytime I would leave the station for a detail I would wear my bunkers which got a bit old in the summer. My first pair were Rangers...and ended up hating them. Warrington is my favorite, I've tried the new Globe model and they are pretty comfortable as well and its a softer sole which seemed a little better on slick surfaces then the hard soled models.

the only thing that worried me about the zip on's was if my pants were to slid up my leg and my leg would become exposed. I still have not tried them yet, and most likley gunna go with the warrington 5006's. The zip-ons look like they'd be comfortable, I'll have to try them one day if I ever get the chance!

We just bought three pairs of the new Globe boots, I have heard from the guys that got them that they are comfortable. I only heard one complaint and that was from another department. Apparently there is not much of a heel, so when climbing a ladder there is a very small lip and your foot can slip forward on the rung. I haven't worn them myself, so I can't give you anything firsthand, but almost everything I hear is positive.

I have had zip -ups and pull on leathers over the year. The zip ups were a hassle for me as well, I also had the problem of the zipper unzipping. At a job on night it unzipped and came off my foot... needless to say yhe next morning they were sold to a carpenter.

I currently use the globe mentioned boots with my assigned dept gear, I did not like them at first, but then got use to them. I did come across the ladder /rung issue. I have encountered my foot several times slipping forward of the rung. I would say the only draw back is the heel.

Does anybody know any ways to break in leather boots fast? I just got a new pair and they are a pain to get on right now.

Does anybody know any ways to break in leather boots fast? I just got a new pair and they are a pain to get on right now.

I am not sure if this is warranty-acceptable, but some of the sams stuff used to break in a baseball glove works well, like saddle soap or other leather-softening lotions. The other way is to simply wear them a lot.

One other thing with the zipups. If you don't zip them, they have absolutely NO ankle support. Long time ago I was using mine while pump operating and I did not zip them. I rolled my ankle into a drainage ditch and caused a bad sprain.

Make sure you try on both and that they are fitted right..walk around a bit, climb some stairs, stuff like that. We use the Warrington Pro 4000 in the FDNY, and I like them a lot. The only complaint I have about the Warrington Pro boots is the lack of a removable supportive inner-sole. I have had the opportunity to use both pull on type and zip up type and I will agree with several other poster's here, the zip-up style boots are tough to get on in a hurry, even with the zippers in the pants. If your dear doesn't have the zippers in the leg don't even think of buying the zip-up style boots. Without zippers in the legs of your bunker pants, the zip-up style boots are nearly impossible to get on , never mind get them on quickly. .I recently bought a pair of the Globe Technical Series boots (same specs as their 12" structural boots, except 2 inches shorter thus making them non-NFPA compliant for structural firefighting) and I LOVE the way they fit! The Globe rep at their booth in Baltimore at Firehouse Expo told me that the Magnum series boots all fit the same way, so I am assuming that their 12" and 14" boots fit the same as my 10" Tech Series boots. I was also told by my salesman that Globe will resole the Magnum's if they wear out.

I have been wearing leather boots since 1994. I have found the following: nothing breaks them in like wearing them around, especially rwhen they get wet for the first time. This helps the leather stretch out a bit. Make sure you don't dry them in a gear dryer or next to a radiator, they will shrink. If you use paste polish on them, it will help the leather repel water for a longer period of time, and will extend the life of the boots. Use the boot jack that comes with them, otherwise the liner will pull away and they will need to be replaced. I get about a 1 to 1.5 years of service out of my boots in the city until they need to be replaced. You can expect about 2 yrs or so out of them if you take care of them. Note about wearing them in concrete buildings for training...use duct tape to tape over the toe area of the boots. This will prevent premature wear, and save the leather. When you see people walking aorund with the leather worn out of the toe cap area onleather boots, that is usually what happened to the boots.