Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

More problems with Statewide Radio Network

8 posts in this topic

Advocates are ignoring the protests of first responders

By Timothy M. Kennedy

Updated: 02/09/08 6:42 AM

I was shocked by the blatant self-interest that was exhibited in two guest editorials in last Saturday’s News regarding the Statewide Wireless Network. One column was authored by Russ Tremblay of M/A Com, the multibillion- dollar contractor charged with building the system in question. The second was authored by Karl Felsen, the public information officer for the New York State Office for Technology, which administers the program.

The concept of the network is admirable. Unfortunately, those at the Office for Technology have put their own personal, professional and financial wellbeing ahead of the public. They seem to be the only voices who continue to speak favorably of the project in its current form. While they pat themselves on the back and pronounce what a swell product they have, the first responders have denounced that claim, the City of Buffalo opted out of the system and Erie County rejected the notion of being a full partner. Consequently, taxpayers are left holding the bill, which is conservatively estimated to cost more than $2 billion statewide, if implemented.

As a member of the Erie County Legislature’s Public Safety Committee, I put my full faith in the City of Buffalo Police and Fire departments, Erie County Central Police Services, Erie County Fire Advisory Board, Erie County Sheriff’s Department and Erie County E-911 Committee to tell me what their equipment needs are. I trust their opinion.

Uniformly, these professionals have rejected the proposed development of the network as is. Their rejection is for good reason. Multiple testing and coverage issues, inability to determine protocol, development delays and failures of similar systems have led Erie County and the City of Buffalo to go their own way.

Many in the public safety arena that will be forced to utilize this system have raised serious objections about the cost, technology and implementation. We should continue to trust the opinion and judgment of those first responders who may end up in a life-or-death situation where mission-critical radio communications are needed to protect lives.

I urge the state to grant a request made by various public officials and members of Congress to Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli and Deputy Public Safety Secretary Michael Balboni. Please hire a third-party, independent consultant to determine if this system actually works and meets the federal standards for interoperable communications. The consultant must be managed by any state agency other than the Office for Technology.

If the Office for Technology and the contractor who has been awarded the contract are left to make this decision on their own, it seems only their interests will be awarded and that of local first responders will be sidelined, along with the taxpayers. If they choose to continue down the current path, they are heading one step closer to the brink of the cliff. Quite frankly, they already have one foot off the edge.

Timothy M. Kennedy represents the 2nd District on the Erie County Legislature.

I wonder if Westchester's new trunked radio system is a piece of the $2.1B State-wide communications system they're talking about here??? Or did Westchester County and DES blaze it's own trail?

"Unfortunately, those at the Office for Technology have put their own personal, professional and financial wellbeing ahead of the public.'" - I'm confused .......Isn't that what a Politician or political appointee is supposed to do??????

" I wonder if Westchester's new trunked radio system is a piece of the $2.1B State-wide communications system they're talking about here??? Or did Westchester County and DES blaze it's own trail?"

Westchester did their own thing (A wise move)....... If they were going to be part of this mess, I mean system..... They would have to use the M/A Com equipment........ Which IMO, is junk compared to Motorola's offerings.....

If the Office for Technology and the contractor who has been awarded the contract are left to make this decision on their own, it seems only their interests will be awarded and that of local first responders will be sidelined

The contractor has the "first responders" interests in mind

and not how much money they can make? LOL!

Jack, the statewide system for NY is a MA/COM trunked or "Skynet" system if memory serves me correctl;y. MA/COM has had a lot of problems with these systems all over the US.

Thanks.

"ON Paper", anyway, it looks like a sweet system.

Too bad it doesn't work the way it's users need it to.

The M/A Com system is a OpenSky 800mhz system. They were reportedly the lowest bidder on the project, with Motorola being considerably pricier. We all know that Motorola systems are reliable and work well, not to mention they're used all over the county. CT and MA use Motorola Smartzone systems for their State Police Net that work very well. Our new trunked system in Westchester is a Motorola Smartzone.

Apparently M/A Com attempted to install a similar system in PA. The system was a complete and utter failure. I'm not sure if the system was rejected or not, but I read multiple articles that stated it was basically inoperable and often failed.

The best part of all of this: M/A Com's price has come close to Motorola's bid right now after numerous "problems" and additions. Motorola wanted around $3B to complete the project. And probably would have built a working system. I'd pay a bit more in taxes to cover the extra. Doing the math every citizen in NY would have to give $54 extra to pay for the difference completely...and instantly. M/A Com's system will be paid for over 20 years.

The worst part is, even if the system doesn't work I have no doubt in my mind that the NY State Office for Technology will accept the system. And it'll probably end up costing over $3B. I wouldn't be surprised. And as for interstate communications...PA is the only state bordering NY that operates a OpenSky system. Granting others access to our system will be nonexistent since M/A Com has not licensed their protocol to anyone else. And nobody uses M/A Com OpenSky capable radios.

Bad move New York.