Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Elmsford appoints police commissioner, promotes new chief

16 posts in this topic

Are you kidding me? A DEPT of 18 needs a COMMISSONER? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Not to mention a waste of over $100K. How come the Mayor can't be the voice of reason for 18 people? Even if the Mayor can't, the Chief should be able to control 17 other people in his DEPT. WHAT A JOKE. I am not saying that ELMSFORD PD is a JOKE. I am saying that appointing a COMMISSONER is a JOKE.Elmsford appoints police commissioner, promotes new chief

By Gerald McKinstry

The Journal News • February 12, 2008

ELMSFORD - The village Board of Trustees last night appointed its first commissioner of police and promoted a new chief.

Chief Frank Rescigno, a 24-year veteran, was appointed to the newly created commissioner's post. He'll make $129,000 a year overseeing the 18-member department. He's been chief for four years.

Sgt. Thomas Fennell, an 18-year veteran whose father was a chief, was promoted to chief, contingent upon his passing the March exam for that position. He'll make $110,000 a year and be second in command. Fennell will even use his father's badge, Mayor Bobby Williams said yesterday.

Both men started as patrolmen with the department.

Williams said the changes would not affect the budget and were done to give the department greater control over its operations, especially with personnel matters, such as hiring officers, and other daily operations.

"It streamlines the work. It takes a lot of pressure off of us," Williams said of the village board, which was collectively functioning in the role of commissioner.

A referendum passed last week, 117-39, to create the commissioner's position.

Are you kidding me? A DEPT of 18 needs a COMMISSONER? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Not to mention a waste of over $100K. How come the Mayor can't be the voice of reason for 18 people? Even if the Mayor can't, the Chief should be able to control 17 other people in his DEPT. WHAT A JOKE. I am not saying that ELMSFORD PD is a JOKE. I am saying that appointing a COMMISSONER is a JOKE.Elmsford appoints police commissioner, promotes new chief

By Gerald McKinstry

The Journal News • February 12, 2008

ELMSFORD - The village Board of Trustees last night appointed its first commissioner of police and promoted a new chief.

Chief Frank Rescigno, a 24-year veteran, was appointed to the newly created commissioner's post. He'll make $129,000 a year overseeing the 18-member department. He's been chief for four years.

Sgt. Thomas Fennell, an 18-year veteran whose father was a chief, was promoted to chief, contingent upon his passing the March exam for that position. He'll make $110,000 a year and be second in command. Fennell will even use his father's badge, Mayor Bobby Williams said yesterday.

Both men started as patrolmen with the department.

Williams said the changes would not affect the budget and were done to give the department greater control over its operations, especially with personnel matters, such as hiring officers, and other daily operations.

"It streamlines the work. It takes a lot of pressure off of us," Williams said of the village board, which was collectively functioning in the role of commissioner.

A referendum passed last week, 117-39, to create the commissioner's position.

How come the mayor can't be the voice of reason? Is that a rhetorical question? Elected officials and voice of reason seems like an oxymoron.

Edited by DOC22

never heard of a commissioner of PD for a village before...it does seem like a huge waste of $129K

congrats to the new chief!

A lot more to this story !! I've been hearing about this for a while. WOW - Politics at its best !!

How come the mayor can't be the voice of reason? Is that a rhetorical question? Elected officials and voice of reason seems like an oxymoron.

Yes that is an OXYMORON. You don't think that it is a waste of $$ Chris? How many TOWN/VILLAGES have POLICE COMMISHONERS? Well Elmsford sounds like the first to me in this COUNTY anyway. Towns have Town Supervisors and Villages have Mayors. I think they see over the municipal services don't they? Of course they are going to listen to what the CHIEF of a DEPT has to say but in the end they may be VOICE that everyone listens too. I am prob wrongs since I hate POLITICS and that is all this is. But for an 18 man DEPT. That is just a waste of money.

Yes that is an OXYMORON. You don't think that it is a waste of $$ Chris? How many TOWN/VILLAGES have POLICE COMMISHONERS? Well Elmsford sounds like the first to me in this COUNTY anyway. Towns have Town Supervisors and Villages have Mayors. I think they see over the municipal services don't they? Of course they are going to listen to what the CHIEF of a DEPT has to say but in the end they may be VOICE that everyone listens too. I am prob wrongs since I hate POLITICS and that is all this is. But for an 18 man DEPT. That is just a waste of money.

I don't disagree that 1/4 million dollars for two administrators of an 18 member department is a highly questionable expense. I'm interesting in seeing what changes this will bring to the Village.

It is definitely a political move!

Come on, there are a lot of decisions to be made in a jurisdiction of one square mile.

comm698s.jpg

The new Commissioner and Chief in their first photo op

Hello, Batman ? Is this you ?

Yeah, this is a little ridiculous! A commissioner, a chief, 16 sgts, and 2 patrolmen! Look at their website, everyone carries some sort of rank! Another dept that should be eaten up by the Town Police since they are there everyday anyway!

i stand behind the elmsford pd. they do a great job and have a great working relationship with efd.

i stand behind the elmsford pd. they do a great job and have a great working relationship with efd.

Ladder55, I dont think anyone has taken a personal shot at the performance of the Dept, rather than question the need for a Police Commisioner for such a small dept. Whats your take on this being from the area?

I think the general consensus here is the fact they have too many "Chiefs" and not enough "Indians"! :lol:

Keep it clean gentlemen/ladies! ;)

Moose

Yeah, this is a little ridiculous! A commissioner, a chief, 16 sgts, and 2 patrolmen! Look at their website, everyone carries some sort of rank! Another dept that should be eaten up by the Town Police since they are there everyday anyway!

Few Points: Why should they be taken over by the town when our department does an excellent job of keeping us safe? We have not had problems with them and they work GREAT WITH THE FD and other Emergency Services. Two you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but note one thing. This was a title change and has actually reduced the pd budget. No additional funds were needed for this.

Third I’m not sure what you mean by they are there every day, meaning the town pd? To the best of my knowledge the only “PD” from the town that is in Elmsford every day is our medic.

Four I don’t know where you got your stats of the current force, but they are a little off.

And that’s the memo

Rumor has it that the new COMMISH failed the CHIEF's test so they made a position for him. Wonder if there is any truth to that.

Rumor has it that the new COMMISH failed the CHIEF's test so they made a position for him. Wonder if there is any truth to that.

I heard this too....rumor though.