Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

AHLS

10 posts in this topic

I just completed the AHLS Provider and Instructor courses this past weekend, well almost weekend at Phelps and thought I'd pass along that is a very decent (although expensive) class. Now that there are a few more instructors in the area, hopefully we will be able to get the additional resources needed to be able to deliver the course out into more providers in our area.

Hats off to Jeff Meade and his comrades for pulling off the course the way they did after missing a day due to the lovely snow. Excellent job Jeff!!!

I so wanted to take this class......but $$ and conflicts with current school schedule, I couldn't. Hopefully there will be another one in the spring.

ahls is an excellent course. i feel that all medics involved in haz mat need to take it. i took it 2 years ago and i am also an instructor.

as everyone has said it is an expensive course, and there is no way to get around the price. this is do to the money that is required to go back to the university of arizona. as well as other costs to bring in other resources. great class though. #-o

I agree, it was a very well done and organized course. A big negative is definatly the price, but if you compare to ACLS and PHTLS and the like, it's not far off par. One person who took the class with us, commented that there was not a lot of emphasis on pediatrics, which I definatly agree with. I'd imagine there might be a subclass in the future that deals with Pediatric treatment modalities and the like.

we were going to ty to hold a clas down here in the myrtle beach area. but do to price as well as a need to get grants to support this along with bringing in people and everything involved it is better just to send people off to take the class. to host the class after all is said and done is in the area of 20k so think what the price per student would be without grants

Like Firedawg18 We would like to have this AHLS class for our special operations team but the cost is the killer. MY boss says why not send more people to NFA for ALS HazMat because its free. Any one know what the major differences are between the two courses besides time?

From ahls.org:

AHLS Provider is now an approved course by the Office of Domestic Preparedness for fiscal year 2005! ODP funds can now be used for students to attend our Provider courses. See approval letter: http://www.ahls.org/pdf-files/ODP.pdf

Not sure how this affects most people, but if your department recieved funding for courses from ODP, you can now use those funds toward sending students to AHLS.

Thanks! Im glad to see that ODP recognizes AHLS!

Yeah. The number of courses is gradually growing in size. And it gets students from all over the world. The last course I taught had 7 doctors in it and several people from Germany and Australia. Of course as a Paramedic teaching doctors and especially the material being covered, it can be rather nerve wracking. :|

I know what you mean but in my experience with Drs Ive found some of them really dont know their *SS from a hole in the ground and a lot of their work takes palce because some one else does it for them. In the south especially some one who is a DOCTOR carries unquestioned respect and authority but this is slowly changing and evidence of it can be found in our services attitude towards on scene physician interference....Basically its a polite Go to H*ll...we dont need you

Cheers!