Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Q as in Cucumber

9 posts in this topic

They forgot "Z" as in xerox...and I thought that state of the art comm center was in Pepsi Cola, Florida not D.C. :blink:

Its a sad commentary on the state of Public Safety in that cheaper isn't awlays better. We have the same thing here. People that cannot formulate a complete sentence dealing with people's lives during the worst event of their life and trying to pretend they know what they are talking about over the radio (some don't even pretend). Good article though...

I've gotten "W as in Walrus" from a PO before. Not that he was technically wrong, but it was pretty darn funny.

As far as the article goes, if you consider any major city and that the dispatchers are human (for the most part, since some are like machines and some are zombies), there are bound to be mix-ups and errors. Also, there is constant misinformation from callers, sometimes its minor details but often it can send a totally incorrect assignment to the call (assuming the call is even where it is reported to be).

The comment about the female patient with the, er, "not so fresh feeling", was a bit much, though...

First rule of dispatch: EVERYTHING IS RECORDED. Whether spoken or typed.

Edit: Regarding the later part of the article, it never ceases to amaze me what some dispatchers consider as "important information" for the responders. Then again, many civilian dispatchers have never been on the other end of the radio, so I guess I am a little biased.

Edited by 242steve

In a space labeled “remarks,” the dispatcher wrote: “SHE SAID HER PUSSY STINKS.” Quintana says the info was nothing but an appropriate verbatim report of what the caller said.

LOL, How many times have we seen someone put similar in the "chief complaint" section of a PCR/ACR? :)

1 that I have used...think about it...D as in Richard...yes, on a taped radio system, and more than once...guess I got lucky a few times...but pay attention and don't keep asking for the apt # 3-4 times!!!!!!!!

I like the comment about the callers vagina! LOL! That was great!