Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ATCff

Fitness requirements and your department

6 posts in this topic

With all the documentation out there that states that firefighters die from more cardiovascular related issues than any other in the fire service, I was just wondering what departments out there as a whole are doing for their members. Is there any requirement that your department has for their members to keep up their physical fitness to be eligible for interior operations? If no requirements, does your department do anything to provide options for their members to get healthy i.e.: set up a discounted gym membership, provide a fitness equipment in the fire house, etc.?

If your department does not have any requirements, how would you feel if there was? It is easy to say that you would welcome requirements, but if you are one of those persons that says we should have requirements and your department does not have anything in place, then what are you doing on your own to stay fit?

Good topic, and Im sure a lot of people will jump on me for saying it but I believe every dept should have strict physical fitness policies in place. There are too many LODD out there attributed to cardiovascular incidents and its because we as firefighters fail to continue a physical fitness program on a weekly basis. If my dept had a Physical Fitness program once a month that would definately help me out. Im overweight and have a family history of cardiac problems, but I keep procrastinating. My dept provides us with a full gym in the firehouse with treadmill, bike, nautilus machine and tons of free weights, but I never get my but down there.

If they had it set up where each member had to be a certain weight, and pass a Physical agility test annually I think it would help us all out....is it going to happen? Probably not. Why? Because there are a bunch of guys out there who will do everything in their power to make sure it doesnt happen, its already too much for them to get their annual OSHA training and attend drills and meetings, now you want to regulate their fitness? Sadly, isnt going to happen. But maybe someday it will become reality after too many of us loose brothers to heart attacks.

I try every week to get down to the firehouse and use the free stuff provided for members but Im always so tired after working 2 FT jobs.....*sigh* I was thinking of asking our dept to set aside one drill a month for physical fitness training; whether it be walking/running, weightlifting, cardiovascular stuff, or even a football or softball game between members or depts in our area. Anything to be active.

Good topic brother.

Stay Safe

Mandatory annual physicals for interiors. Others are every two years.

The District will also pay a portion of a gym membership. You provide proof that you went to the facility the required times a month and submit a voucher and the District reimburses you a portion of the membership fee. It real cracks down on wasted money for gym fees because if you don't go, they don't pay.

i know many vfd's have gyms for their members, but for those who don't (vfd's or vac's), do you have initiatives or discounts for your members to join a local gym?? i've been meaning to do something like that for our members, any insight?

Are there any OSHA/NFPA requirements for physical fitness?? (Not physicals)

Are there any OSHA/NFPA requirements for physical fitness?? (Not physicals)

Yes, NFPA 1583, Standard on Health-Related Fitness Programs for Fire Department Members.

Here's a link where you can view the standard online: NFPA Code list

Once on the page, you can view all NFPA documents by selecting the appropriate link.