Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

25 Year Retirment For Dispatchers-UPDATED Info!

9 posts in this topic

As many of you know several of the 911 dispatchers in the NY area have been trying to change a law that will allow us to retire after 25 years of service, similar to what our brother Police Officers currently have after 20 years. This law was passed by the NYS Senate, late last year (Dec. 2007) and then got stuck in the Ways & Means Committee when it reached the Assembly.

As of January 9, 2008 the bill was referred to the "Governmental Employees Committee". This is progress but we need to continue to show our support. Attached is a MS WORD DOC of a letter that just needs your, name, address and signature, and if you would kindly mail it to the "Governmental Employees Committee Chairman", at the address at the top. We would greatly appreciate your help!

Or if you choose to fax over a copy, Assemblyman Abate's fax # is 518 455-5524 if you have access to a machine

Thank you all for your support in this matter.

If you are really motivated....you can look up your local NYS Assemblyman with your zip code at http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/ and forward a copy of this letter as well!

Please feel free to pass this along to your friends and family as well. We need all the support we can muster!

NYS_Assembly_Abate.doc

Talk to your legislators. Lobby the heck out of them. Get this bill passed ASAP. We've had it for a number of years now, and I'm almost halfway there!!!

Talk to your legislators. Lobby the heck out of them. Get this bill passed ASAP. We've had it for a number of years now, and I'm almost halfway there!!!

Tell me about it! I am at 18 years.

Why do you need a minimum time, can't you retire whenever you feel like it ? Does this have something to do with your payout figure etc ?

Why do you need a minimum time, can't you retire whenever you feel like it ? Does this have something to do with your payout figure etc ?

Right now we have to put in 30 years of service and wait until we reach 55 to got our benifits.

This would allow us benifits at any age after 25 YOS

Isnt NY State retirement system 30 years and age 55?

Sorry that was a typo 55 is correct. I tryed to edit the original but no luck.

Edited by LAD19DER NY

I thought so, and thanks for the update, I will pass this along to a few com centers, 25 years would be great, if I remember right this was up to pass a few months after 9-11 years back and was defeated. I had thought during that time it would have been a lock to pass. People dont understand the stress of the job. Alot of high paying jobs, the people are getting paid for "what may happen, when the S%$t hits the fan" well.....almost every time the phone rings, the S%$t has hit the fan for someone. The worst thing in the world is happening to that person on the other end of the phone, and emergency service dispatchers are dealing with it. Many years ago I was talking to a well respected person in the emergency dispatcher field and he was telling me a story about when Regan fired all those air traffic controllers in the 80's, many of them got hired as emergency service dispatchers. he told me 75% of them washed out, and many said it was to hard of a job to handle. Imagine that.

OK well 3 faxes have been sent to Assemblyman Abate and we also sent them to our local assemblyman, Greg Ball.