Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Apparatus Plate Assignments

14 posts in this topic

do you have chiefs also?

I do not know of a list of Chief's vehicle numbers, but if you go to the DES - Battalions website, each FD has an assigned three digit number. This is the first three digits of the Chief's vehicles (i.e. Ossining - #233, Chief - 2331).

This latest list is not correct at all. In Yonkers, the "latest 2/25/08 list" has Engine 314 has a "Spare Apparatus" and Engine 302 as a "Front Line" apparatus? Also the list has Banksville for Ladder 77, where Yonkers has Spare Tower Ladder 77 among its fleet (No mention of Yonkers in the Tower Ladder Listings, but Yonkers TL's are listed among the Ladder Companies). Finally, I believe Yonkers has a Spare Ladder 78 (as well as 76 and 79)

post-128-1204422312.jpg Thanks, Steve.

"Sticky" updated

This latest list is not correct at all. In Yonkers, the "latest 2/25/08 list" has Engine 314 has a "Spare Apparatus" and Engine 302 as a "Front Line" apparatus? Also the list has Banksville for Ladder 77, where Yonkers has Spare Tower Ladder 77 among its fleet (No mention of Yonkers in the Tower Ladder Listings, but Yonkers TL's are listed among the Ladder Companies). Finally, I believe Yonkers has a Spare Ladder 78 (as well as 76 and 79)

The truth is, Ladder 77 belongs to Banksville, here in Yks we just use the number because it is next in sequence for our own reasons. Since the chances of both 77's being on the same assignment are slim to NONE, no one actually cares what we use. Our front line apparatus are all that is important here, the rest of the numbers on Yks vehicles are our very own. Yonkers also lists all ladders as ladders, we do not differentiate during dispatch or operations except on the scene they are used accordingly. Some agencies are dispatched as TL or LT or just L where as in Yks, everyone just goes by L for ladder.

Thanks Oswegowind. I understand the thought process on the Ladder Company Numbering Sequence, but isn't Engine 314 a "Front Line" piece of appartus running out of Station 14 and Engine 302 is a Spare? (Not sure if Yonkers still has Spare 301 and 302 since they were recently sold at auction - I believe that Yonkers current spares are 305, 315. 316 and 317, but since you are a dispatcher for YFD, you would know better - Can you fill us in on this?) PS - Do you know what rig Yonkers is currently using for their FOAM UNIT (Didn't they also sell that Old Sutphen Rig they were using as the Foam Unit and were going to bid for a New Foam Unit?) Thanks !

E314 is a front line piece, and E302 is a spare designation. There are a number of spares, I do not however know all of them because we don't deal with them all that often. They begin at E298, and go to E317 using numbers not already assigned to stations as front line apparatus. E300 is the LDH spare and is stored at Sta. 12. As well spare ladders run from 76-80. The collapse unit is an old Mack and the Foam unit hasn't changed as far as I know, but I don't get to that side of the city all that often as I work on the West Side.

i'm sorry, but i like dutchess' number system the best, much much less complicated if you ask me, but what do i know

It can go both ways. Some people like the idea of getting Engine 85 or Ladder 18. Others like the idea of getting 62-45, or in Putnam's case, 16-4-2.

Anyone have any idea why Fairview Eng 174 is listed as a spare?

Anyone have any idea why Fairview Eng 174 is listed as a spare?

Needs to be updated , Engine 176 is the spare. Engine 176 is the reserve "ready to go when needed."

From the DES Webpage:

Questions or comments on apparatus numbers should be directed to Lieutenant Felix (Hap) Hughes- Records Officer.

Email to: ffh2@westchestergov.com

Please provide the following contact information:

Name of Person Requesting:

Title:

Department or Agency Name:

Phone Contact:

E-mail Address: