Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capejake72

Florida Dept. OF Forestry Rigs

5 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of the rigs I respond with for the FL Division of Forestry, along with my station and the old watchtower

post-6749-1204937462.jpg

post-6749-1204937475.jpg

post-6749-1204937514.jpg

post-6749-1204937593.jpg

post-6749-1204937615.jpg

post-6749-1204937637.jpg

post-6749-1204937652.jpg

post-6749-1204937667.jpg

On those dozers - what is the single axle "trailer" with the hydraulic lines used for?

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. I especially like that Dozer and the Tower! And the International looks mighty capable!

-Joe DA BUFF, who photographed some interesting rigs from Mass. DCR and Rhode Island DEM!

Nice pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. But OMG! That color scheme???? Looks like NYC DEP truck scheme

the trailer behind the dozer is a double disk medium fireline plow, it's what actually stops the fire, cutting a clean (usually) trench through most any fuel type, as deep as we need, then we come back and blade it out flat, that is the fire break, on a large fire it will end up looking like a highway through the woods, as we will put multiple dozers together side by side and plow as many lines as we need to stop the fire

the older color scheme was all dark (forest) green with a white roof, but they switched back to white a few years ago as it was easier (and cheaper) to get chassis cabs in bright white

15-104 is a pretty unique engine, it is 1 of only 2 in the DOF fleet, it's not a true Type III as the pump was replaced (but I'm scheming to get a bigger pump for it), most everyone else runs a Type VI brush engine on a Ford F-550 4x4 chassis, with 350 - 500 gallons of water (rumor has us getting one soon). 104 is a pretty capable engine, 750 gallons water, Robwen foam system, twin 200 foot booster reels, front bumper jump lines, and all wheel drive, it needs better tires (front flotation types and aggressive off road treads in rear) and i'm currently having trouble getting the electric rewind reels to work (new motors, solenoids and switches)