Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

$40 fine for speeding...unless you're a police officer

16 posts in this topic

washingtonpost.com:

Montgomery's Finest Won't Pay Fines

Among the thousands of drivers who have been issued $40 fines after being nabbed by Montgomery County's new speed cameras are scores of county police officers. The difference is, many of the officers are refusing to pay.

The officers are following the advice of their union, which says the citations are issued not to the driver but to the vehicle's owner -- in this case, the county.

FULL STORY: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8030703484.html

$40 fine if you get caught speeding on camera...unless your a police officer. The fine goes the owner of the vehicle not the individual so the state of Maryland gets the bill if a police officer is caught spending.

Oh Boy, I'm sensing some juicy debating on this one!!!!

Oh Boy, I'm sensing some juicy debating on this one!!!!

Yeah, i was particularly interested in the "Traveling more then 80mph on Randolph rd" comment. Who knows what the speed limit is there, but 80 mph seems a little excessive...

Governor Rell is proposing to install speed cameras along I95 to enhance enforcement. I know we all are very good at staying within the 55 MPH limit. :rolleyes:

I wondered myself how this would affect emergency responders especially municipal and other agencies (and POVs).

Edited by T. John

My Village would be BROKE in about a week, between fire veh, police veh etc.

Don't let anybody tell you that you can do different things to your car or plate that will beat the speed cameras either. Mythbusters did 2 episodes on this, covering everything from lexan plate covers, different aerosol sprays. Nothing worked. They even got a Lambo to do 140MPH past one, and it still got its plate crystal clear.

Yeah, i was particularly interested in the "Traveling more then 80mph on Randolph rd" comment. Who knows what the speed limit is there, but 80 mph seems a little excessive...

Having grown up down there, I can tell you that the speed limit is probably in the neighborhood of 40-50 mph...so unless this person was responding to a call, 80 mph wasn't just speeding, it was downright reckless. I wonder what the union would be saying if one of it's member's vehicles was struck by a non-union member (i.e. civilian, firefighter, etc.) doing 80 mph in the same speed zone. Hmmm.

Edited by emt301

Seriously. I can't believe they don't just toss out the photos of emergency vehicles. I know the red light cameras in NYC pick up FD, EMS and PD marked vehicles all the time. Those photos are not persued.

I guess you'll have to keep in mind the case up in Dutchess where the Courts odered the State to pay $2 million for the woman killed in an MVA by a State Trooper responding to a call that was downgraded to non-emergency.

PoughkeepsieJournal.com

Jury awards over $2 million to estate of woman killed by trooper, attorney said

A Dutchess County jury has awarded over $2 million to the estate of Laly Sanchez, who was killed in a May 2001 accident with a state trooper who was allegedly driving recklessly, said attorney David Worby in a prepared statement.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...=73311161476565

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright Notice

Seriously. I can't believe they don't just toss out the photos of emergency vehicles. I know the red light cameras in NYC pick up FD, EMS and PD marked vehicles all the time. Those photos are not persued.

Unfortunately, yes they are pursued.. I know personally with NYPD they will track down the command involved and send the photos to the command's Integrity Control Officer, and have them conduct an investigation. you better have a good, documented reason why you went thru the light, not just I was in a rush to Central Bookings. I know one officer that was asked to pay the $50 personally. This also the reason that about 3 to 4 years ago, many of the cars began to 'lose' one digit from the license plate making it impossible to track.

edited : wrong amount for fine.

Edited by grumpyff

doesn't the law (NY) more or less state that even emergency vehicles are not to travel more than 10 mph over the speed limit?

Does anyone know at what speed (how fast above the limit you are driving) these cameras take your picture?

Edited by CTFF

Does anyone know at what speed (how fast above the limit you are driving) these cameras take your picture?

Typically, you get a 10 MPH cushion. However, they can be individualized for more or less.

doesn't the law (NY) more or less state that even emergency vehicles are not to travel more than 10 mph over the speed limit?

No. VTL 1104

Due Regard...impressive little clause if you ask me