Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

33 Firefighters Resign from Georgia Department

3 posts in this topic

03-12-2008

HOMER, Ga. -- Banks County lost about 75 percent of its volunteer firefighters Tuesday night when 33 of them resigned at a commission meeting.

Former deputy chief John Creasy, a spokesman for the group for volunteered in Banks County for 10 years, said the group tried for months to resolve what they considered to be "mis-management issues" with the department.

Creasy said those issues stemmed from the way the department is being run by its current chief, Gary Pollard, who has held the position for five months.

FULL STORY: http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/3...t/46$58700

Before he came to Banks County, Creasy worked in fire service for 30 years. He said many of the volunteers are interested in offering their services to other communities.

So far, there is no comment from the fire chief or the county commission.

I always say there are two sides to every story but is resigning and going to another volunteer department the answer?

I always say there are two sides to every story but is resigning and going to another volunteer department the answer?

The 33 apparently thought it was. As you said, there is no way of knowing what is actually going on down there without hearing the full story, and that includes the other sides story.

I was a police sergeant in north Georgia and have family still living in south Georgia. I can personally attest to their training and equipment. While around the Atlanta area is nice and their equipment is top notch, this is not the case in the rest of the state. I have become friends with a group of volunteers in south Georgia and assisted in helping them get some grants for equip etc... They run over 100 calls/yr with a 1978 pumper. I can't remember what make and model, but it was old and it looked old. They don't have much and I would imagine when a new chief comes in and wants to mess with them, then I would leave also. The state training academy is in Forsyth, Georgia. The firefighters go through excellent training there, but I don't know about their in-house stuff. I'm now back in NY and volunteering again. My company is getting a new engine this year and a gift of our old engine (1984 Hahn) to them would be like getting a new Cadillac.