Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

25 Year Retirment For Dispatchers: New Governor, New Attempts

7 posts in this topic

As many of you know several of the 911 dispatchers in the NY area have been trying to change a law that will allow us to retire after 25 years of service, similar to what our brother Police Officers currently have after 20 years. This law was passed by the NYS Senate, late last year (Dec. 2007) and then got stuck in the Ways & Means Committee when it reached the Assembly.

As of January 9, 2008 the bill was referred to the "Governmental Employees Committee".

The Governmental Employees Committee asked for a reprint of the bill and as of March 18 2008 returned it to Ways & Means.

Gov Paterson has said his focus at the begining will be the budget, but we need to continue to send letters and faxes to show our support.

I really hope you guys get it. We(FDNY Fire Dispatchers) have had it for about 8 years now.

JBE: Were you involved in any aspect for you guys? Any tips for us? Any help would be appreciated.

JBE,

You guys got it as part of the "new" contract or a new law???

CAM

I'm actually not very involved with it. I believe it was legislative, as opposed to contractual.

Any pension changes have to be legislated. The best you can hope for out of contract negotiations is expressed support of the bill from the job or city.