Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Photos-In House Refurb Ward/E-One late 1980's FFD

17 posts in this topic

Fairview FD (Greenburgh NY) members work to covert Engine 175 a 1977 Ward Lafrance cab to an 1981 E-One at Station 2.

Dougs Heavy Towing of Elmsford NY supplied the boom. Refurb took place in the late 1980's.

Before and after photos - Protection from the Past, Enjoy !

post-23-1206235573.jpg

Rear of old Eng 174

More to be posted , stay tuned

post-23-1206235808.jpg

In Progress - Step by step pictures.

Pump from Ward

post-23-1206235952.jpg

PFP

post-23-1206263322.jpg

WOW! I didn't know the members refurbed 175 in house! That's awesome, thanks for sharing the photos! Also, nice to see Doug's in action, they were a classic Westchester wrecker operation that was pretty prominent at their peak.

Was the E-One body new, or off another apparatus? Also, what was the reason for replacing the body?

WOW! I didn't know the members refurbed 175 in house! That's awesome, thanks for sharing the photos! Also, nice to see Doug's in action, they were a classic Westchester wrecker operation that was pretty prominent at their peak.

Was the E-One body new, or off another apparatus? Also, what was the reason for replacing the body?

Yes , conversion was done by Fairview FF's and painted in a truck shop in Yonkers.

The Ward body was so prone to rusting. The E-One aluminim body was the former Engine 174 top mount with a Sanford cab.

Dougs Towing employee was an Engine company member in Fairview during the 1980's .

post-23-1206313462.jpg

* Please note above photos are the removal of body. Top mount pump panel on old E-one.

Below photo placing body down on Ward LaFrance at the firehouse.

post-23-1206321618.jpg

So they put a newer body on an older truck, was the Sanford chassis no good or what was the go, seems odd to put an newer body on an older truck than it came off of ?

PFP, First Light Tower in the Dept.

post-23-1206395881.jpg

After

post-23-1206454540.jpg

So they put a newer body on an older truck, was the Sanford chassis no good or what was the go, seems odd to put an newer body on an older truck than it came off of ?

Yes the Sanford cab was from mid 1960's , painted but started to rust again.

PFP Ward Body before Rust

post-23-1206665615.jpg

Yes the Sanford cab was from mid 1960's , painted but started to rust again.

Ahhh my mistake, I thought the Sanford cab/chassis and E-One body where the same age, now it makes perfect sense !

Again, thanks for sharing, Tim!

Hartsdale refurbed their 1976 Ward Lafrance's in 1986, adding an aluminum body and enclosing the cabs, but I don't know if rust was a factor. Work was done by Ranger Fire Apparatus (of Providence, RI I believe?) When I worked in Hartsdale, one of the Wards (former 170, now E-171) was still an active reserve, over 30 years after being delivered and over 20 years from being refurbished. Despite scratches and neglect, I'd say it's in excellent shape. Given a replacement of some parts in the cab and pump panel, and updating the lighting package, I'd hope Hartsdale FD will give it to a needy department when this apparatus is replaced later this year.

How did Fairview dispose of E-175- is it still alive somehwere, or did it go to Brookfield?

How did Fairview dispose of E-175- is it still alive somehwere, or did it go to Brookfield?

The Ward was sold.

Shipped out of the United States . DC Gerardi drove it to the Port of Newark in New Jersey.